SPTD/ntfs.sys (plz allow this thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPTD/ntfs.sys (plz allow this thread)

remark to the moderator: please activate this thread, because it seems as if nobody in the German Section is able to help me (no replies for more than 2 days)
    Hello

I am no native speaker, so please excuse possible mistakes.
    About one month ago, I formatted my computer, which worked quite well up to now. But from one day to another,
    it didn't reboot anymore. Instead, I come into the menu where I can chose between "safe mode" (I hope this is the proper translation), boot normally and so on.

If I choose the latter one, the system will simply reboot, and if I boot in safe mode, there will be a problem loading SPTD.sys. I am told to press ESC in order to omit this file, but even though I do so, the computer won't finish booting but reboot again. By googling I found out, that Daemon Tools is probably responsible for this problem (I think I had its latest version)...

So it seems, as if the solution described at the end of this thread http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/my-s...ter-t6828.html
    was adequate.

But I can neither format c, nor get into the recovery console and do the repair installation, because before I can do that, I get a bluescreen with an 0x0...24 stop error and the message that something is wrong with my ntfs.sys...
    I don't know how to solve this predicament and I am quite desperate, please tell me if you have any idea.

Yours sincerely, Arcane

My system:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    ATI Radeon x800 Pro
    Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
    2x 512 MB Infineon DDR
    Windows XP Home

Doesn't anybody have any idea? Even suppositions could help me...

Comment

Hit "F8" when Computer starts to boot, then chose "letzte als funktionierend bekannte Konfiguration" as starting option. This might help.
      Regards,
      Eierbär aka TschensBrems

Comment

Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
        [...]But I can neither format c, nor get into the recovery console and do the repair installation, because before I can do that, I get a bluescreen with an 0x0...24 stop error and the message that something is wrong with my ntfs.sys...[...]
        So you get a BSOD when booting from your Windows-CD?
        I's suggest grabbing a Linux-Live-CD (e.g. Knoppix) and booting that, so you can run some RAM-failure diagnostic software or at least to check, if it boots at all.

Comment

best thing to do is put youre windows disc in youre drive and reinstall
          I know this isn't a very nice option (and if you have very important documents on that pc it isn't an option)

1. put youre drive on another pc and backup things and then format
          2. use a live-cd and rename sptd.sys (note you cannot use dt anymore) but i think windows will boot fine (if sptd was the problem)

Comment

in case you have access to another PC create a Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows http://ubcd4win.com/ save all your files you might need and reinstall windows. you might also want to try and fix windows using the cd.. oh, and it has some neat memtesters aswell.. give it a try!

Comment

@Eierbär:that doesn't work, because the pc will reboot

@crashoverraid: I cannot reinstall Windows, because I get the ntfs.sys bluescreen instead...

@Mephisto: I am totally unexperienced with Linux, and don't have such an CD

@Novecento: UBCD sounds nice.. I think I'll try, but why should I be able to reinstall Windows with it, since I am not with the original Windows CD?

Nevertheless, thanks so far for all answers

Comment

When I boot, I can enter the "Raid Configuration Utility" of "Silican Image Inc" by pressing CTRL+S...
                Although its name is "Raid..." I have only ONE hard drive.

In the Menu, there is a point named "Low-Level Format"

Do you think this could help me with my problem? Meanwhile I don't care if the information on the hard drive get lost..
                But I heard about some critical voices who advised against low-level format, because this could possibly destroy the HDD irreparably.

greetings, Arcane

Comment

Please do not easily low-level format your hard disc drive, nowadays this is almost meanlingless except damaging the drive.

Furthermore, your problem does not seem to relate to a physical problem but a programme problem.

When you tried to boot from a CD, had you set the boot device to the CD drive rather than hard disc drive in the BIOS?

Comment

Yes, but it it didn't work nevertheless.

Comment

If you get blue screen when booting from a CD, then it means that either your CD is scratched, or some components of your computer are out of order.

Just one more thing to ensure: At the beginning stage of booting from the CD, it still boots from the hard disc drive if Enter is not pressed. Did you press Enter to force it to boot from the CD?

Comment

Yes. As i tried to explain, the computer would simply reboot if I don't press enter (and in safe mode, it would stop booting at sptd.sys)

When i boot from CD, i get up to the point where i can choose between repair installation, new installation and abort...
                        but directly after i chose, one thing i get the bluescreen =(

Comment

If you boot from a CD and get blue screen, then I am afraid as what I have said: Either your CD is scratched, or some components of your computer are out of order.

It is unlikely a problem of your hard disc drive. You may test the memory first.

Comment

While I agree with MaLing, try using this:

If ERD commander can't mount your windows installation then nothing can and it's definatelly a hardware issue, which is what is sounds anyhow.
                            Co-Creator of Akkadia MUD Game Engine Codebase (GPL 1999)
                            In /dev/null no one can hear you scream!

Comment

Working...
                            X