Windows XP PRO SP1 crash on reboot problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP PRO SP1 crash on reboot problem

I'm having problem with daemon 3.26. I can install it with no problems. It also runs like a charm, but as soon as I reboot XP will crash during startup. It show a blue screen With the following error:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

(Technical info :
    *** STOP : 0x0000000A, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804FE88F)

I think I located the corresponding event log :

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ACPI
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4
    Date: 6-12-2002
    Time: 0:02:52
    User: N/A
    Computer: SCHUIT
    Description:
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71);
    INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
    which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 05 c0 .......А
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

restoring to checkpoint before installing daemon-tools resolves the problem.

Installing , using, then deinstalling and rebooting is no problem.

I also tried Alcohol 120%, it has exactly the same problem.

Any ideas ?

--Maarten.

Interesting. I had other crash report and the guy who sent it has exactly same ACPI error in his log as you!! I thought it was by accident but now I don't think so.
    Do you have any other errors in log about ST324KJ scsi controller?
    What is your motherboard and have you tried to update your BIOS?
    ACPI error should not be present in system event log - this is sign of serious system malfucntion. I suspect PnP manager crashes the system during resource rebalancing when new hardware is added.
    Is it possible on your system to make kernel memory dump or it just crashes without being able to make a dump?

Comment

No other errors. Motherboard is an abit bf6 (PIII 500Mhz) latest BIOS. I have no scsi card. Not verry complicated system really. 512MB Ram, Matrox G400 video, 2 IDE harddrives, 1 IDE Plextor dvd/cdrw combo, Intel pro 100+ ethernet, soundblaster live! value, Teles ISDN card, that's it really. Only 2 things I can come up with is, that I have an old Iomega 100MB zip+ drive (LPT1) connected, (I don't know if this has anything to do with it but under Win98 it behaved like a pseudo scsi device, but under XP i don't know). Secondly I have my drive mapping setup I bit strange: C:, D:, E: are NTFS volumes, H: is dvd/cdrw, Z: is zip drive. This means When I install daemon tools, first pseudo drive will be F:, which comes before H:

Tried to get a kernel memory dump, but none is generated (I can't find the memory.dmp file)

If you like I could make available a system info dump.

Any more tests I could do ?

--Maarten.

Comment

Nothing strange in your setup, except that motherboard is relatively old of course. What is the date of you latest BIOS?

Comment

Looks like a mainboard problem to me. That ACPI error appears in the event system, if your mainboard is not fully ACPI compliant.

Try the following:

Enter setup by booting from the XP CD. During appearance of the message "To install a 3rd party SCSI/RAID driver, press F6" (or something like that - only know the german version);
          press F5 and select "Standard PC" from the appearing list of installable HAL.DLLs. After setup asks for recovery console or windows installation, select windows installaton (ENTER key);
          accept the EULA with F8. Now setup scans your HD for previously installed Windows XP versions. If Setup asks you to press R to repair the selected installation or to press ESC to make a new installation, choose R to repair. If you don't get that repait message and Setup shows you the partition, cancel Setup here if you don't want to make a new installation :lol:

That should setup your machine to APM instead of ACPI and hopefully, the BSOD should not appear again if that event log message has something to do with it.

Comment

It's the latest bios : version 70, dated 03/12/2001

I did a google group search in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
            on acpi, seems there have been slight problems with acpi, but only about the computer not entering/leaving power safe modes. No recent problems it seems.

I could disable acpi in bios and repair/reinstall as suggested, but would that still leave the PnP capabilities ? Would I only loose the power safe capabilities ?

Can you please explain how installing daemon (software) can influence the PnP manager (hardware configuration) ?

Comment

listen. i have exactly the same problem, if i install daemon tools wincdr or alcohol120% i get that error... here is my comps specs:

p4 1.8
              256 ram
              80gig hd 5200rpm
              gf3 ti200
              windows xp pro (not sp1, just the "plain" release)

-----
              the blue screen error is exactly identical! ive tried to get an update for my bios but am havin trouble finding it , the official site just redirects to another one where u have to BUY it..... have you guys found a solution yet?

Comment

Working...
              X