PDA

View Full Version : SecuROM V 4.85.07.0015 + The locked drive issue.



Nodens
04.12.2003, 03:18
Operating System: Windows XP Pro
Burning Software: Blindwrite 5, Nero 6, CloneCD 4, Alcohol 120% 1.4.7
Anti-virus Software: NOD32 v2
DAEMON Tools Version: 3.41

Today I burnt a blindwrite image from the new game I bought (Broken Sword 3) so I could mount it from hd instead of the CD like I always do and I encountered the locked drive issue when unmounting. I know what's wrong and I was trying to post this at the Common Problems and Solutions Forum but I didn't have access to reply to that thread so here it goes.

The game is locked with SecuROM 4.85.07.0015 and apparently Daemon Tools can not mount it properly from a 1:1 blindwrite image cause probably this new wrapper has the stealth drive blacklisted as I have been able to mount images of previous 4.85 builds. When I run the game it does nothing at all. Checking the task manager I saw the process was a zombie eating 47-50% of cpu resources. I killed the process and when I tried to unmount the image the drive reported as locked which is quite reasonable since the process was killed and did not send an unlock command. I believe similar cases are what cause the reported "drive locked" issue (those that are not a corruption of the .inf file).

The workaround to this is quite easy. You just set the number of devices to disable and then back to what you were using. The stealth drive resets and you can mount a new image.

I was also wondering how the blacklisting of the drive is done. It's not the drive identifier because I have it custom for that reason. I am guessing it's using the driver name or inquiry data. Is it not possible to implement an engine that randomizes that data upon installation (and via the settings for whenever else it's needed) so that each installation would be unique and the drive non-detectable? :twisted:

PS I was also wondering if I could join the beta team :wink: And sorry for being a bit off topic.

vallis
06.12.2003, 02:48
Operating System: XP
Burning Software: A120%
Anti-virus Software: McCrapee
DAEMON Tools Version: 3.41



Author Message
Nodens Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 20:18 Post subject: SecuROM V 4.85.07.0015 + The locked drive issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System : Windows XP Pro
Burning Software : Blindwrite 5, Nero 6, CloneCD 4, Alcohol 120% 1.4.7
Anti-virus Software : NOD32 v2
DAEMON Tools Version : 3.41

Today I burnt a blindwrite image from the new game I bought (Broken Sword 3) so I could mount it from hd instead of the CD like I always do and I encountered the locked drive issue when unmounting. I know what's wrong and I was trying to post this at the Common Problems and Solutions Forum but I didn't have access to reply to that thread so here it goes.

The game is locked with SecuROM 4.85.07.0015 and apparently Daemon Tools can not mount it properly from a 1:1 blindwrite image cause probably this new wrapper has the stealth drive blacklisted as I have been able to mount images of previous 4.85 builds. When I run the game it does nothing at all. Checking the task manager I saw the process was a zombie eating 47-50% of cpu resources. I killed the process and when I tried to unmount the image the drive reported as locked which is quite reasonable since the process was killed and did not send an unlock command. I believe similar cases are what cause the reported "drive locked" issue (those that are not a corruption of the .inf file).

The workaround to this is quite easy. You just set the number of devices to disable and then back to what you were using. The stealth drive resets and you can mount a new image.

I was also wondering how the blacklisting of the drive is done. It's not the drive identifier because I have it custom for that reason. I am guessing it's using the driver name or inquiry data. Is it not possible to implement an engine that randomizes that data upon installation (and via the settings for whenever else it's needed) so that each installation would be unique and the drive non-detectable?

PS I was also wondering if I could join the beta team And sorry for being a bit off topic.



I think Hordes of the Underdark uses the same protection. I see the same behavior regarding the locking of the image if an attempt is made to run the game.

I was really hoping that changing the device name etc. would work. Bummer!

V.

b0urn3
06.12.2003, 11:23
Operating System: WindowsXP (SP1)
Burning Software: Alcohol 120%, CloneCD 4.3.1.7, Nero 6.0.0.9
Anti-virus Software: none
DAEMON Tools Version: 3.41

I've almost the same problem with the german version of Spellforce. This game can't be installed because Spellforce detects the RMPS emulation of Daemon Tools (and also Alcohol 120%). The result is that i can't install the game when RMPS emulation is running and Daemon Tools (or/and Alcohol 120%) is installed on my system. I hope the developer of Daemon Tools will solve the problem as soon as possible. :cry:

LocutusofBorg
06.12.2003, 18:54
Yes, we're working on the issues and can promise you, that we've
some cool surprises for Sony and for you :)

Nodens
07.12.2003, 19:13
That's the spirit! :wink: Whatever is made can be unmade...fundamendal law of the multiverse...resistance is futile indeed :twisted: :twisted: