D-Tools don't work with Windows VISTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Tools don't work with Windows VISTA

Why i got this error then i install D-Tools (Newest version from this site)

Error:

If someone can help me, please.

Install SPTD 1.50 (www.duplexsecure.com) first and after restart try to run DT installer again.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Not to accuse anyone of anything, but I do have the feeling that peoples suggestions for fixing problems under Vista are bogus and actually don't work. At least none of the suggestions worked for me.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate, all latest updates from Windows Update installed and Daemon Tools 4.10 with SPTD v 1.50. Having problems setting drive letter. Under Windows XP x64 (x64 EVEN which previously was notorios for making problems) everything works fine and it sets a drive letter automatically. No need to do anything after install but mount your image.

A short summary of the suggestions so far:
      - Updating the driver for the virtual scsi CD/DVD-rom from c:\windows\inf (and even c:\windows\system32\drivers which don't contain any INF files at all, so obviously a bogus suggestion).
      - Removing registry keys (why should you do that? Is Daemon-tools broken?)
      - Installing latest SPTD driver seperately (why? Latest SPTD is bundled with Daemon-Tools).

So do you see where I'm heading at?

Comment

Well, recognizing the date of previous posts it should be obvious that v4.10 wasn't released that date.
        The inf catalog gets obviously broken in Vista even more often as in previous Windows versions, thus check e.g. if a file infcache.1 exists, delete it, then try driver installation via cdrom.inf again.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I have the same problem!!!!

I have installed all update for Vista and deside to updete daemon tools by uninstalling it, when i installing new 1.50 versin it can`t set drive latter for virtul drive, it may be trouble in win updates that have s conflict with virtual driver

Comment

Well, yeah. You're right about the dates of the posts. I really didn't pay attention to the dates. I just read them because they discussed the same problems that I had. It shouldn't matter anyways. Daemon Tools is broken seeing it says compatible with Windows Vista on the download page. Either you fix it or you remove Vista from the compatibility list. Don't lie! I can live with an application not being compatible with Vista. I expect that this early in Vista's lifetime. But when I see Vista on a list of compatible operating systems I expect it to work out-of-the-box. I'm no hacker. I can't be expected to fix other peoples programs I know nothing about (of technical nature).

I'll try Alcohol 120% in the meantime or just extract ISO files using UltraISO. I'm not using Daemon Tools for illegal purposes anyway so I don't need emulation support.

And if this cdrom.inf trick is so magical, why don't you explain it in-depth. Don't just repeat the same advice over and over without any explanations to why it should work, and how.
            I thought SPTD was the driver Daemon-Tools used, not cdrom.inf. I know I don't know everything so please educate me.

Comment

SPTD layer is an access layer, the virtual devices "behave" like real ones, thus use the same drives - Microsoft drivers. That's it, nothing "magical" about that.
              And btw - everything works ok on our Vista test systems with all updates (32 and 64 bit), so why should we remove Vista from the compatibility list? Just because very few users face this crappy Windows issue (I still wonder how it happens, as I never had it).
              Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
              They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

After deleting this "infcache.1" Daemon-Tools worked on my Vista installation. It was a bitch to get proper permissions to delete "infcache.1". The wonderful TakeControl program (google it) for Vista let me get permissions to delete it. Mention TakeControl the next time someone complains.

Now I'm happy because now it works!

Comment

Originally Posted by saivert View Post
                  After deleting this "infcache.1" Daemon-Tools worked on my Vista installation. It was a bitch to get proper permissions to delete "infcache.1". The wonderful TakeControl program (google it) for Vista let me get permissions to delete it. Mention TakeControl the next time someone complains.
                  Now I'm happy because now it works!
                  You can use the built in tools

1. Open a CMD shell as administrator
                  - Start -> Run
                  - Enter CMD and then press SHIFT-ENTER on your keyboard
                  2. In the CMD window type:
                  - CD \WINDOWS\INF
                  - takeown /f INFCACHE.1
                  - icacls INFCACHE.1 /grant administrators:F
                  - del INFCACHE.1

That's all.

Comment

I am having the same problem with no virtual drives. i uninstalled DT, I turned off User Account control, and have tried the cmd prompt. In the cmd prompt I am told: takeone /f INFCACHE.1
                    is a invalid command. What am I doing wrong???Help..

Comment

simillar trouble here, on win Vista UT
                      dt pro installed normally, starting as adm, and receiving error:the application is corrupted.
                      though same distr working fine on winXP.

Comment

Working...
                      X