Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, another Vista non-working DaemonTools

Hello,

Well, problem is that I installed it correctly, but after a few uses it was throwing me an error that the drivers couldn't load.

So I uninstalled it, and then tried to reinstall, and got stuck in the eternal vortex of reboot. (drivers installed, reinstall, etc. -you know the story-)

I checked the registry key, did the DWORD 4 value in safe mode, restarted in safe mode, tried to delete the key and didn't work. I noticed that there's a hidden device that it's the driver that comes with DaemonTools -can't remmember the program, I just woke up, i've spent all night trying to make it work-, I tried to do it in combination with the reg keys. No success.

Then I tried installing the 1.50 version of those drivers, restarted, and it tells me that it isn't installed. Installed again, same result.

I just ran out of ideas, except a system restore but I've just installed OOo, xchat, pidgin, and some other countless applications that I might not remmember (incluiding updated drivers).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Try booting into Safe Mode and running the SPTD setup from there.

Comment

Originally Posted by yddraiggoch View Post
      Hello,
      Well, problem is that I installed it correctly, but after a few uses it was throwing me an error that the drivers couldn't load.
      So I uninstalled it, and then tried to reinstall, and got stuck in the eternal vortex of reboot. (drivers installed, reinstall, etc. -you know the story-)
      I checked the registry key, did the DWORD 4 value in safe mode, restarted in safe mode, tried to delete the key and didn't work. I noticed that there's a hidden device that it's the driver that comes with DaemonTools -can't remmember the program, I just woke up, i've spent all night trying to make it work-, I tried to do it in combination with the reg keys. No success.
      Then I tried installing the 1.50 version of those drivers, restarted, and it tells me that it isn't installed. Installed again, same result.
      I just ran out of ideas, except a system restore but I've just installed OOo, xchat, pidgin, and some other countless applications that I might not remmember (incluiding updated drivers).
      Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
      you not alone there, i went and upgraded my Home Preimum to Ultimate vista, then after it gave error about the Kernel, then I searched this forum, tried to uninstall it then another error cannot be unistall then change the regedit thing also install the new version of SPTD 1.5 still no luck, one of the weirdest thing is eveytime i install the deamon tool, it constantly asking for restart, i even right clicked on the file and use "Run as adminstrator" option, still doing the same thing.

basically i tried everything suggested in the forum still cannot get the installation pass the restart stage.

just wondering are there any other alternative way for the deamon tool installer not to check the SPTD status cause i knew it is installed with the new version 1.5

regards

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
        Try booting into Safe Mode and running the SPTD setup from there.
        I did, I restarted and I don't notice the SPTD driver loaded. Tried in Safe and normal mode. None of them seem to work.

Is there any way to know exactly the registry's, drivers and changes the installation process of SPTD does? If there's a conflict, I guess knowing that vital piece of information would help solve the issue.

Comment

Ok, so I tried Sysinternal's Autoruns, and there's NO entry of sptd. Then what's preventing that key from deleting? Im already logged as administrador, it says "Stard" as a DWORD value of "4", and still can't delete it.

What could be causing that the Regkeys are locked if I already have removed the sptd.sys file?

Comment

You must enable all permissions on cfg key first.
            Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
            They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper View Post
              You must enable all permissions on cfg key first.
              Im logged as admin, without UAC, and set permission on the installation as Administrator.

Comment

So? To delete cfg key it doesn't matter if you're Administrator, you can not delete it, before you enabled all permissions on cfg key after you disabled SPTD, and rebooted.

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper View Post
                  So? To delete cfg key it doesn't matter if you're Administrator, you can not delete it, before you enabled all permissions on cfg key after you disabled SPTD, and rebooted.
                  Ok ok, let me try to digest this, if by the cfg key you mean the registry key that SPTD uses, I did that (read 1st post), SPTD's dll's are gone and still it doesn't allows me to change them (yes I did rebooted, even in SAFE mode), unless SPTD changed something in 1.50 that isn't included in the guide.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand Copytrooper.

The Cfg subkey seems to be protected by a Vista mechanism that denies access to Administrators. I read somewhere that only "trusted installers" can modify certain registry keys.

My first attempt to get around this used sysinternal's psexec command to open a cmd prompt with SYSTEM credentials (dangerous): "psexec -s cmd.exe". I then tried using the "reg delete" command to delete the subkey but still got a flavor of Access Denied.

So, I restarted in safe mode and regedit let me delete the Cfg key right away.

If someone knows how to do this without going into safe mode, I would like to know

I've been in contact with the SPTD support guys a little for me own problem (SPTD won't start after fresh install). They had me use an MS DDK tool to log (trace) boot driver activity. Maybe you should email them?

Comment

Here's the fix, and how to remove the key:

Changing the Registry Key to Administrator's doesn't works because there's an access rule that doesn't lets you properly remove it. Removing all the User Groups in that key and then adding Administrators lets you properly remove it.

Now that I have the key removed, I tried to install DaemonTools and I fall back into the same loop problem... Still continues to tells me that you must reboot, blah blah blah...

Comment

My only issue seems to be that no drive letter gets assigned to the virtual drive...when I try to set one from in DT I get the Please wait then I get "Unable to set new drive letter"

any clues

Comment

Check related thread in common problems and solutions forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X