Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total newbie - where to start with C&C First Decade

Hi all,
    This is my first post to the forum, so please be gentle!
    I haven't got much experience with Daemon Tools, and I was wondering if I can use the program to help me with a problem I'm having with C&C: The First Decade.
    I have the original UK retail version of the game, with a factory-pressed DVD-ROM. When I try to start it, the disk spins up, and I get a 'cannot locate DVD-ROM, please insert valid disk' error.
    This is a problem that affects quite a few users, but EA won't help me since I'm running Vista (which isn't supported officially). Equally, the C&C forums don't seem to have any solutions which work. So, I'm stuck having paid Ј20 for a game which refuses to function....
    Where should I start with this? I'm happy for the disc to stay in the drive when I play, so I don't think I need to copy a complete disc image to my drive (or do I?). Playing around with no-CD cracks does get a few of the games working, so the problem is definitely with the copy protection, not Vista compatibility. I have 2 Sony DVD-rom drives.
    Please excuse my ignorance - if someone can get me started then I'm happy to go away and play around after that!
    Cheers!

Why should the game run with a copy when it doesn't even run with the original disc
    The reason why some games run with a crack probably (I don't know whether they do, but if you say so...) could be that the copy protection (driver) is not Vista compatible (and since a crack doesn't contain the copy protection the game won't get into trouble).
    Anyway copying your disc won't help you to get the game running.

PS: Cracktalk ain't allowed on this board

Comment

Originally Posted by xileF1337 View Post
      PS: Cracktalk ain't allowed on this board
      Sorry for any confusion - I'm NOT advocating cracks or copying - in fact, I'm looking for a solution to my problem which avoids using them.
      I think you're absolutely right - there is something in the copy protection that causes an issue with my particular combination of Vista and DVD drive.
      So, my guess from your answer is that an image mounted through DaemonTools will preserve the copy protection intact, and so it won't help solve my problem. Is that right?

Comment

Just a question, have you tried to run it in XP compatibility mode?
        Carpe diem

Comment

Originally Posted by Kinlaadare View Post
          Just a question, have you tried to run it in XP compatibility mode?
          The game has a launch screen which links to the 12 or so game individual game .exes which make up the set. I've tried setting each .exe to XP compatibility, and I'm running everything as admin, too.
          This works for most Vista users, it seems, so I think the problem may lie with the interaction between the copy protection and the drives themselves. My next priority will be to check out the drives and see if there are any updates that might help.
          Thanks for helping (and I notice we have 5 stars for my first post, which is nice!)

Comment

another thing that you shall try is to test it on another vista computer, to be sure this is CP/Vista relative and not due to a "malfunction" on your computer

PS : malfunction can be misunderstood... so I'll explain a little : this may be a drive/CP incompatibility, a glitch somewhere in the rig's config or installation... you can add what you want here
            Carpe diem

Comment

another thing that you shall try is to test it on another vista computer
              Some people say that the game works fine on Vista, so it's almost definitely down to my configuration. I ruled out DVD firmware, so (when I'm feeling brave enough) I'll probably set up a dual boot on my system so I can run XP as well. That's probably a last resort, though, as I know that some XP users report the 'insert correct DVD' error too - I wouldn't really expect this to solve it.
              So, I'm stumped.
              It's an interesting problem though - it's probably more entertaining than playing the game itself!
              Can you see any way that DaemonTools might help?
              Thanks again!

Comment

No, DT won't help here, as it does not run from the real DVD...
                First Decade is SD protected, isn't it?
                You shall try other safedisc protected games to see if you have the same problem with them or not.
                Carpe diem

Comment

You shall try other safedisc protected games to see if you have the same problem with them or not.
                  I like your thinking!
                  I tried Civ4, which has the same version of Safedisc (4.6). It worked fine.
                  The mystery deepens...

Comment

Originally Posted by darth_careful View Post
                    The mystery deepens...
                    Yes, more and more...

Have you tried to install it on other locations if you can (another directory, or partition if possible)?

Other thing to try is to borrow the DVD to a friend of your and test it...
                    Carpe diem

Comment

Yes, more and more...
                      Have you tried to install it on other locations if you can (another directory, or partition if possible)?
                      Other thing to try is to borrow the DVD to a friend of your and test it...
                      All of the above
                      I notice that there's a disclaimer on the back of the box .... 'This product contains technology intended to prevent copying which may conflict with some DVD and virtual drives'.
                      That's me, then!
                      I think I'm going to go back to EA and ask what the solution to that problem is (irrespective of whether it's running under Vista or XP).
                      Could take a while.
                      Thanks for your help - I'll post the solution if I get a happy ending!

Comment

Hum... Just a thought, but have you ever tried with another DVD device?

Virtual drive here is not the problem.
                        Carpe diem

Comment

I had a probelm with the transformers game for PC it runs safedisc 4.81 on XP saying please insert the correct dvd, when i was running it from my dvd drive. I made a image of it with dt pro and then disabled my IDE Controller and the game stopped hassling me with the error message.
                          Last edited by adamcirillo; 24.07.2007, 07:44. Reason: Fixing up Grammer

Comment

Originally Posted by adamcirillo View Post
                            I had a probelm with the transformers game for PC it runs safedisc 4.81 on XP saying please insert the correct dvd, when i was running it from my dvd drive. I made a image of it with dt pro and then disabled my IDE Controller and the game stopped hassling me with the error message.
                            That sounds hopeful, then.
                            I've been lurking in the EA forums, and it seems that the people who have this problem all have Sony DVD drives. Spooky. It could be coincidence, but....
                            Anyway, I've emailed EA and I'll let you know how it goes. See - this thread offers suspense as well as mystery!

Comment

hehe. By the way, if you can borrow a DVD device (not the same brand you are using )...
                              Carpe diem

Comment

Working...
                              X