Is it legal?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal?????

Is it legal for me to make images of MY games and put themon a virtual drive??????

Most countries allow personal backups, but I'm no legal expert :mrgreen:

Comment

So long as you own the original and the image is made without modifying the program and used for genuine back-up purposes, yes it's legal in most countries.

(Note: Can't say all because whilst I might be regarded as a legal expert insofar as my own country is concerned, at least by some kind people :wink: :lol: , no-one can be familiar with the laws of every country. )

Comment

@ philamber
        I was under the impression that Aussie laws had changed recently allowing backups only if the title specific EULA said so.
        No longer a general 'Yes a 1:1 is permitted'
        [Edit] I could be wrong though [/Edit]

Cheers
        Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

G'day Kitna.

There have been some recent changes to the Copyright Act 1968 (Oz) but, for practical purposes, it's still ok to copy a computer program that you "own" (i.e. have an original licence for) for back-up purposes so long as you don't modify the program in making the copy.

Note though that back-up exception does not apply to audio or movies and recent amendments have made that expressly clear.

Cheers.

Comment

Well... this SHOULD BE LEGAL :!:

Have you EVER tried to get a replacement CD from a game distributor after you scratched your game CD beyond repair?

It's about as easy as trying to save for a house deposit, in Sydney. Almost freaking impossible!! :evil:

Daemon-Tools is a god send for gamers like myself, who like to keep their game CD's safe and sound. I recon companies like Sony ( who bought you the blight on the world, that is SecuRom 5.0 :x ) should get down from their ivory tower and start showing some support for programs like this, which helps the consumer protect their gaming purchases.

Comment

Thanks for the reply philamber

Cheers
              Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

Working...
              X