surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surprise

"installed the badware too when it was first included in the software. Why? I trusted the software developers since all the other versions were clean before."
    THIS.
    Way to go guys, you tricked me. Boy is my face red. Oh well i guess i needed a reminder that there is absolutely no one in the world that can be trusted.
    Next time just put some big red letters on the first page of the installation or something. Just so people who are re-installing (and think they have already read the EULA) know something changed.
    Thank god for good software firewalls and oldversion.com.
    Oh, PROTIP: Put a donate button on your webpage, it works better than conning people.

It is clearly noted since v4.00 on the download page; seriously can not be such a big problem to uncheck on simple checkbox in installation dialog, to cancel WhenU EULA, or to un-install the adware in case you don't want to use it.
    And if you really want to support development of Daemon Tools you're always welcome to buy a license:
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Daemon Tools has been the most upfront of virtually any software developer about the included adware. They clearly stated it in the announcements prior to release, they created this subforum strictly for people to post about any problems with it, and it's clearly stated on the download page.

Not to mention that you can easily deselect it during installation (as Copytrooper said). And even if you forget, just cancel the installer when it runs. And if you even click OK to that, just go to Add/Remove programs to uninstall it.

Comment

Why is it that you have to opt-out and not opt-in? I think this kind of behaviour irritates most people and makes them feel they are being cheated, whether it's true or not. By googling " 'Daemon tools' +adware" you can see what I mean. Surely this kind of publicity is not good for Daemon-tools - even if all people who complain are wrong?

Comment

Daemon Tools gets revenue from adware and registered users. In what way do they benefit by changing it from opt-out to opt-in?
          The easiest way to avoid the adware is to buy Daemon Tools Pro. No ads there.
          Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

and to read the text inside the setup and not only click on the "ok" button

but the best way is to buy and support!

Comment

I read the information about the ad-ware included figured I like it enough to support (don't use IE anyways). So I installed it and didn't care but now their search bar keeps attempting to install itself over itself. I have disallowed it several times and even let it go a few more and even removed Daemon Tools from my computer and it continues to re-install itself. This is annoying and I am pretty sure I didn't agree to it continually installing itself.

Comment

@SomuchFun:

please clarify the name of the "search bar" which "keeps installing" ?

Comment

I agree I think it would be better if it was opt-in instead of opt-out but only because many users assume it is safe to click next..next...next..finish to install it then get irritated when they find that it has installed adware.

Maybe even a warning dialog saying are you sure when you have the adware detected?? This might alert people or get them to read and understand what they are doing.

I understand that changing it from opt-out to opt-in will lose you revenue as in ad money but it would stop all the unhappy customers - asking people to pay money for a software which they believe tricked them into installing adware (regardless of whether that was what was intended by the developers) to get rid of having adware is kind of stupid when you think about it.

And like I have said many times i dont blame or criticise daemon tools for adding the adware but like i have said most people including the more technological minded will skip through an installation wizard as quickly as they can ignoring the "select features" screen.

Comment

well there is always a "User Disclosure screen" and of course always has to accept a corresponding EULA as well.

Comment

I assume there is indeed something we didnt made clear
                      enough:

It is this adware that is the reason for STILL existing LITE
                      version. Our total costs (running servers) etc. without Lite-
                      version and totally focusing on Pro version would lead to dramatical
                      cost-reductions. It is not that we're greedy. But the days where
                      we reroute income from customers(!) to free users are gone.

So thats ONE important point.

The second point I must underscore: You know that not
                      robots develop DT, do you? That means, that WE are install other
                      software-titles, too. Alot of them include adware, some
                      have similar model to DT (opt OUT) - guess what? I never
                      (seriously!) missed to opt OUT in case I WANTED to opt out.
                      At least I was always aware of the fact that an adware was
                      included and I need to UNcheck the box in case I dont want
                      it to take space on my system.

My bro some days ago installed DT Lite on his system and
                      missed to opt out, too. As this system is without inet-connection,
                      the adaware wouldnt make much sense, nevertheless, he did
                      not blamed anyone else except himself that he missed to
                      uncheck the box.

I assume we can go on for years with this discussion but one
                      thing is still a fact: we are very successfull, so we must do
                      something right, do you agree? The fact that we do not censor
                      at our boards and the fact that only few complain
                      about the adware or the way we integrated it
                      proves us right!

Comment

And i agree with you completely it is the end users fault if they do not see the opt out section.

I agree you have been really open about it in comparision to other software and that when asked nicely are always keen to help I was just stating a point that most people dont read whats written on the set up screen - i know i read bits of the setup pages only when i know it does something i don't want it to e.g. install adware, change browsers home page, change file associations etc.

For example if i go from your home page to the downloads section at no point does it warn me about the adware. Agreed you did make it clear in the past but thats no good to new users or users that are used to this software not including it. Maybe a warning when downloading saying that if you don't want to support daemon tools they need to opt out.

As a programmer myself i don't think an extra dialog prompt or warning message warning people is a lot to ask, and i am personally very thankful that you have found a way of keeping the free version going I know i would certainly miss it if it did ever go pro only.

Also i don't want to seem as if i am having a go - i just want to give suggestions that may help you resolve customers (as little or as many as it is) complaining about you "tricking" them into installing adware.

Thanks
                        Danny

Comment

Originally Posted by danny_kay1710 View Post
                          And like I have said many times i dont blame or criticise daemon tools for adding the adware but like i have said most people including the more technological minded will skip through an installation wizard as quickly as they can ignoring the "select features" screen.
                          I understand what you're saying, but as one of the "more technological(ly) minded", I always do custom installs to ensure exactly what does and does not get installed on my system. If everyone did that, there would be far fewer virus infected computers out there.

Of course, that would also mean I'd do less business, so I guess I'm not completely ungrateful that people don't pay attention, but it's definitely their own fault if they just click through and install everything they're prompted to install.

And - as LoB stated - they do have to agree to an EULA before it will be installed. In the end, people will just have to learn to wake up and pay attention. You can only work against people's ignorance for just so long. At some point, people will have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Originally Posted by danny_kay1710 View Post
                          For example if i go from your home page to the downloads section at no point does it warn me about the adware. Agreed you did make it clear in the past but thats no good to new users or users that are used to this software not including it.
                          That one I'll grant you. I didn't even realize that the download text had been changed. In this case, I'll agree that there should still be a notice about the optional adware.
                          Last edited by Jito463; 01.07.2008, 14:19.

Comment

I agree with what you have said completely - I wish there was a custom install to windows without third party tools and I would be completely happy

At the same time sometimes I think it is harsh to lie the blame completely on the user especially when you consider the only warning about the adware (CURRENTLY on the web page and software) is that small opt out check box.

Anyway the last thing i have to say about it all is can the admins put a warning on the download page - even if it is just some small red text or something. You could even add a warning into the setup (like i said before a messagebox prompt or somthing) Then you can definately blame everyone who ever installs the adware claiming you didn't tell them.

Just my suggestion and two cents.
                            Danny

Comment

Working...
                            X