Problem with "vssadmin list shadowstorage" on vista 64bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with "vssadmin list shadowstorage" on vista 64bit

I am seeing a problem on Vista 64bit (ultimate) when daemon tools is installed.

The volume shadow storage service reserves space in vista for shadow copies. You can view how much it's using by opening a cmd.exe prompt (as administrator) and running:
    Code:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    I was getting an error, and after some advice in the msfn forums, removed daemon tools. When I removed it and rebooted, vssadmin was again working correctly. For a control, I reinstalled daemon tools, and vssadmin stopped working right after the SPTD installation was finished.

I'm using DT Lite 4.10 on x64. Also have AVG Free antivirus. Running on an HP dv9500t laptop with 4GB RAM, C2D t7300 processor.

The error it's giving in the event viewer is:
    Code:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::QueryVolumesSupportedForSnapshots(ProviderId,-1,...) [hr = 0x8000ffff].
    Operation:
       Query volumes supported by this provider
    Context:
       Provider ID: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
       Snapshot Context: -1

We couldn't reproduce this issue, please describe your system, what volumes do you have, how did you setup VSS.
    Did you try with disabled anti virus?
    You said VSS "stopped working right after the SPTD installation was finished" - i.e. you didn't install Daemon Tools, SPTD layer was installed only?
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

My system is an HP dv9500t laptop. 4GB RAM, 160GB Drive, DVD-RW drive, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS, Santa Rosa chipset. Not sure what else you need for the description. The VSS setup is the default with Vista (there's not really much to setup with it), though I did change the reserved storage space using the method described here (I was able to do that before I installed daemontools)

After I removed daemon tools, I tried vssadmin with the antivirus disabled, and also enabled again. I did not see a difference based on that change (it worked either way).

The volumes I have are 1 partition on my C: drive, and I have daemon tools configured for 1 DVD drive to emulate. All options for DT are the defaults otherwise.

After I removed DT and verified vssadmin was working, I reinstalled DT. At the point where it does the SPTD install, then asks for a reboot before continuing, is where I tried vssadmin again, and saw it failed.

The error vssadmin gives on the command line is:
      Code:
      Error: The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified command.
      but that's not really that helpful.

Comment

Originally Posted by orev View Post
        At the point where it does the SPTD install, then asks for a reboot before continuing, is where I tried vssadmin again, and saw it failed.
        At that point nothing is loaded yet - SPTD driver is activated after reboot only (that is why setup asks for reboot anyway).
        So the issue is a bit strange.

Comment

Thanks for looking into this. During my initial tests, all signs pointed to DT. However, I have done more testing and I think the problem is now truecrypt.

I apologize and recognize that daemon tools is very good software!

Comment

Working...
          X