Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emulation support

I just dl'd Daemon tools.

My intent was to use it play my HALO 1 PC game via its virtual drive so I would not to always be botherd witht the cd.

I burned an .iso of the game and mounted it, activated all Emulations and it did not work.

However for some reason I tried a copy in a .ccd format and when I mount that it does work.

So what I would like to know is why does it beat the security protection with the CCD format and not the ISO format.

The reason it matters to me is that my drive is not large enough and until I can get a new one I need to save as much space a s possible. the ISO is WAY smaller than the CCD.

Can you help?

That's because games use copy protections to prevent you from copying them (it says in Game Database that Halo uses Safedisc 2.70). ISO doesn't contain enough information to emulate them.

Comment

There's data on the disc, and there are physical attributes (such as weak sectors, a disc topology etc) which make up the copy protection. Normal CD burning software only copies the data, you'll need specialized software like Daemon Tools Pro to properly read the physical attributes.

ISO is a format that supports ONLY data. More specialized image formats such as mds/mdf can contain information about the physical attributes as well.

Did you actually copy the images back to CD-R?

The emulation options are only for very special cases. You'll need a PROPER image in any case, but if your CD writer is unable to write all physical attributes back to CD-R, then you can use the emulation options to overcome that limitation.

Again, they're ONLY for actual CD-Rs. For images, you'll never need to set any emulation options.
      "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

I thought that an ISO was a 1:1 image of the disc. So how is it that it could not contain enough information?

Comment

"Did you actually copy the images back to CD-R?

The emulation options are only for very special cases. You'll need a PROPER image in any case, but if your CD writer is unable to write all physical attributes back to CD-R, then you can use the emulation options to overcome that limitation."

No i kept it on a ccd for now.

If I wanted to make a funtional CD backup could that be done?

How?

Comment

ISO can store weak sectors, but if a Safedisc CD title also looks for the bad sectors
            game doesn't run with an ISO image.

For example: Doom 3 (SD 3.2), Splinter Cell (SD 2.8) do run; Far Cry (SD 3.2) doesn't
            I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

@cuetipper

You said you want to use iso in order to save as much space as possible on your hd. Well, actually a mdf *compressed* file is often significantly smaller than the corresponding iso file.

Bye,
              Syrran

Comment

what program can I use to make a " mdf *compressed* file "

Comment

Daemon Tools Pro.
                  Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                  Peace Through Power

Comment

Working...
                  X