Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the language

Hello,
    when I want to change the language, I get the following message.

Nevertheless, the language changes. But if I restart Daaemon Tools, the language is again standard (English). I haven't installed a tool controlloing the registry accesses. Perhaps it would help if I change the entry in the registry manually. But where?

Yeahgoe

It simply changes the startup parameter for daemon.exe (-lang language_id) in key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run, value DAEMON Tools.

If it is unable to write this to registry, it sounds like you have some kind of paranoid security software enabled, for example anti-spyware programs. Could this be correct? If not, you could do a little experiment if you wish: Create a new user account, log on to the new user account, start daemon.exe and try to change language again. If the error does not occur in this new user account, that either means that you are running some conflicting security software automatically in your other account, or the other user account is damaged / corrupted (usually user.dat file that gets corrupted - normally when using FAT32 on a home computer, or logging on to a corporate domain with roaming profiles without size limit).
    Last edited by mastermind; 09.10.2007, 00:28.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Or if you're running Vista, try right-clicking on the shortcut for DTools and choose "Run as administrator".

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
        Or if you're running Vista, try right-clicking on the shortcut for DTools and choose "Run as administrator".
        Shouldn't the user receive some kind of option of allowing the action? I admit, I have very little experience with Vista, and know few technical details of this protection mechanism - so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions

Comment

Dtools can run without administrator privileges, but it will likely not be allowed to write to the registry. Vista creates a "faux" registry, if you will. A virtual copy that the programs can write to (which is why he wouldn't be prompted for administrator elevations).

But changes to the startup entry can't be made without administrator access. He'd have to manually run DTools with administrator rights, then make the changes. After that, DTools should startup in the language he desires.

Of course, all of this is assuming that he's running Vista, and that it's the cause of the problem. It could be something as simple as permissions being set wrong in his registry, regardless of the version of Windows.

Comment

Ok. But in Windows XP, the user has full write access to the entire HKCU registry hive (including the "Run" key). But it makes sense to limit access to this key, for security reasons. So - I assume this has been changed in Vista.

Comment

Thank you for your answers. I haven't installed some kind of paranoid security software. And the called registry entry is empty. There isn't a entry like "Daemon Tools". In addition, I haven't DT in Autostart.
              What can I do now?

Comment

Originally Posted by Yeahgoe View Post
                Thank you for your answers. I haven't installed some kind of paranoid security software. And the called registry entry is empty. There isn't a entry like "Daemon Tools". In addition, I haven't DT in Autostart.
                What can I do now?
                If you don't have the Autostart feature enabled (for whatever reason), the only way I can think of to change the language permanently is to change the shortcut, so that it starts daemon.exe -lang 1023

Comment

Thank you, this works

Comment

Working...
                  X