No announcement yet.

Weird way of installing Daemon Tools...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird way of installing Daemon Tools...

I installed Daemon Tools in an unorthodox manner, and I'm wondering if this could cause an problems I haven't seen yet for my laptop.

I upgraded my Windows Vista Basic laptop that had Daemon Tools installed to Vista Business. However, I had to uninstall Daemon Tools first before continuing upgrading, which I did (I was running on of the Daemon 4.x versions.). I finished upgrading and tried to install Daemon tools again and ran into a reboot loop with the installation program.

I followed the common problems and another thread in support to deal with SPTD problems (deleting registry keys, enabling and disabling SPTD, etc.), but the SPTD program would install and not recognize the installed driver. Then I decided to reboot into safe mode and disable the service then delete the keys. I got curious and ran the SPTD installation and it stated it detected a version of SPTD. Then I ran Daemon's installation and it worked. Now I'm in normal boot and Daemon Tools is running seemingly fine. Why did this work? Is there something I should be worried about installing Daemon in safe mode if it didn't work in normal mode?

No. If Daemon Tools works normally in "normal" Windows boot mode now, there shouldn't be any down-sides of having installed it in safe mode.

Generally, problems like the one you had, aren't that uncommon when upgrading Windows. The best practice is to always install a clean install of Windows (from scratch). This has always been my personal experience with Windows installations, since Windows originally became an independent OS with Windows 95 and NT. The upgrade procedures in the Windows setup are simply not perfected, as it resets some information, while other information remains as it was before. That often leads to conflicts and "weird" behaviour.
    Last edited by mastermind; 16.10.2007, 15:42.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah I have found the upgrade process a bit imperfect, but I didn't want to deal with possible driver reinstall issues on a clean install, yet there are numerous places where I've reconfigured things and places where I haven't. For the most part though, the upgrade has not created too many issues.

Comment

That's because it was Vista -> Vista. If, for example, you had upgraded from XP to Vista, you would surely see a lot more weird things going on.
        Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X