My Bugs :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Bugs :)

Guys, you made me laugh. I cant believe it. Search for images still does not work with Ukrainian translation. Do you read these forums at all? )
    OK. I see you cant manage it without help. Here are your bugs.
    Tooltips of comboboxes in Sound Preferences still change to correct language after program restart only.
    Custom open dialog still does not support page up/page down click on scroller in folder dropdown
    Wrong tooltip for Use Proxy Server and Enable Authentication checkboxes of Connection Preferences (already reported).
    If you enter invalid text in port number on first connection error it is converted to 80 and if you insist on invalid input it starts to be converted to 0 on next attempts.
    After a folder is created and deleted in Registry from context menu on listview background it is not removed from folder tree.
    If I select Mount to Folder in Device Properties for virtual drive and choose Recycle Bin, I get error message Folder does not exist
    Size is displayed as negative integer for DVD in image properties (already reported). After some time of work with program size changed to correct value. Well, I really dont know how to reproduce it but I saw it with my own eyes. Perhaps a fresh install or fresh external DVD image is needed.
    If several images are dropped on a device there is no error message, just first one is mounted
    Registry folders can be dropped on devices (with no consequences)
    If Folder is dropped onto its parent it gets 1 added.
    In Virtual Device Manager when I remove mount path and Apply, old path appears for a moment in edit box
    You do not disable Virtual Device Manager window (and perhaps all the rest similar windows) while applying changes. Therefore if user clicks on its frame Windows changes window to Not Responding
    Hide CD-R toolbar button is translated only after first use.
    Empty under device icon is translated only after first use.
    When image has been removed from disk and Registry detects it as orphaned, all the operations for it are still permitted.
    When I selected Convert Image for that orphaned image, I got -1 in End Sector of Erase Secotors even though I entered 700 there on previous conversion
    Well, but I must admit that in general GUI got better. I can't remember all the bugs I've seen in previous version but I remember I was disappointed much more with it.

oke, you found some bugs, it's very nice you reported them!
    but you can't expect that they fix all issues in a update especially when some of them are never be reported!

I think some of this bugs will be fixed next update
    Last edited by chrashoverraid; 06.12.2007, 09:12.

Comment

Lol, why would anyone want to mount the recycle bin?

I don't see any major bugs in your list, most of them are language related.

Comment

Originally Posted by Reef View Post
        Lol, why would anyone want to mount the recycle bin?
        Well, if program keeps buttons enabled it means I can press them. That's an universal rule.
        Originally Posted by Reef View Post
        I don't see any major bugs in your list, most of them are language related.
        Search for Images not working it is a functionality loss. Whole program subsytem is not available for user.

Comment

Originally Posted by oder2 View Post
          Whole program subsytem is not available for user.
          What do you mean by that?

Regarding the bugs you're mentioning, several of them seems to be about childproofing/foolproofing (call it what you want) the application. I'm not even sure that I'd call it a bug that you receive an error message (misleading or not) when trying to mount a special folder like the Recycle Bin. The Recycle Bin is showed because they're using standard Windows functions for browsing through folders on your computer (e.g. comdlg object is very commonly used by many applications). Also that you receive no error when dropping several items (drag'n'drop) where only one item is supported, is not an obvious bug, it may be that way by design.

You have previously (in another thread) said that you have found many serious bugs in DT Pro (and in Astroburn, but I won't argue with that). I assume that those serious bugs are gone now in newest version, and that you're not considering the things mentioned in this thread as "serious" bugs.

One exception may be the image search function. That is of course an unfortunate bug for those affected. It only applies when using certain translations, though, so most users never experience this problem. Personally, I don't have more than perhaps 20-30 images in the Image Catalog, sorted logically by folders, so I never need the search function. I'm not affected by the problem either, but even if I had been, I would never consider this a serious problem. Nevertheless, I find it a bit provocative that you start by saying "Guys, you made me laugh". If you don't think DT Pro is a good piece of software, why are you at all using it?
          Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

It all depends how do you estimate the software. You agree to use program as it is and and shut the eyes to some defects. And that's your right.
            From my point of view software must be ideally clean and shiny to be called good. Every bug, even cosmetic one, spoils overall impression from program. When I downloaded 4.10.128 for the first time I was really upset. I had to go through whole user interface to verify that all my translated strings fit well and I found many defects and things I did not like. I don't know how it is properly said in English, but in Russian in programmers' slang they say "программа сырая". If explained, it means "a release made in a hurry without having time to fix all the bugs and finish all the details well". This is like you would buy a dinner plate with crooked edges. You can eat from it, but it is unpleasant to see it.
            So it does not matter if a bug is critical or not. The thing that really matters is if bug is easy or hard to find. If a developers allows themselves to release a product which they know is defective and/or unfinished it means they say to you: "Yes, we are selling you defective wares but you would buy it anyway because you do not have any choice". With this, they do not respect their customers - the people who pay money to them and provide them with means for living.
            A serious software development company should never allow itself to release a product with obvious bugs unfixed because that produces a bad company image.

Comment

To some level, I think I can understand your angle to this, but it's honestly very hard to agree with you.

What really matters when it comes to a software product? It works perfectly for me, I have only observed some extremely trivial bugs so far. What more is there to demand? It does its job, and for me there's absolutely no reason to not be happy with it. It's at least as important to look at positive things as there is to look at the negative things. Otherwise everything would be horrible.

All that said, I'm a developer myself, and I happen to be a perfectionist, and I can't help it. That's probably one of the main reasons why I'm so terribly slow at producing anything. I'm never satisfied, and can almost never release anything, because I don't feel that it's flawless "yet". If the DT team was so hopelessly perfectionistic, we probably wouldn't have seen DT Pro in 2007.

Look at other kinds of products you can buy for money. There exists very little in this world that is perfect. If you demand that it should be, I would dare to say that your expectations are way out of bounds.

Comment

Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
                If the DT team was so hopelessly perfectionistic, we probably wouldn't have seen DT Pro in 2007.
                No, you are not right. The first release was very far from perfection and at that point it was definitely clear that it was not the time to stop and become satisfied yet.
                Current one is better but still, making release with a form completely not working (even in one language only) after there was a bug report for it - it is inexcusable.
                By the way, I can't even imagine how such bug could appear. I would understand if they changed the button caption. Then I would think: "They must be comparing button caption with "Start" or "Stop" to determine what action should be carried out". But they do not change it!
                So for now I can assume only some buffer overflow issue which corrupts the data and prevents operation from starting correctly. But if I'm right with my assumption that should be a really dangerous bug which could lead to program crash. If the bug has unclear roots it should be checked first of all.

Comment

A brutal fact that I've learned over the years, is that the real bug testing starts with public release. One can beta test as much as one wants, to catch the most major problems in advance, but it can never cover all issues with all different configurations, hardware, software, etc.

That goes for all software. Look at Windows Although I am a Windows user myself, I consider it a continuous beta test which is very expensive to participate in.

Comment

Working...
                  X