Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daemon Tools Advanced nearly $20 more for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools Advanced nearly $20 more for me?

I live in the United States, and want to purchase the Advanced version of Daemon Tools pro to play my backups without inserting a disc.

I just did a currency convert from the currency system Germany uses (Which is where D-Tools is developed) and I believe Germany is now using the Euro.

Well to my amazement and disbelief, the mere 34.90 that D-Tools Pro Advanced is priced at turns into a whopping 51.38 which is a little over what I spend on a brand new just released game.

Please tell me something is messed up here, I can't afford to pay $51 on a piece of software seeing as I can do better things with it such as paying my webhosting bill and buying games or something else to provide me with hours of entertainment as well as real life priorities.

I want to support daemon tools, but not at this price. I don't want to install adware on my machine as my internet connection doesn't warrant it, plus I've had bad bouts of with adware before.

The advanced version seems the only effective solution
    to playing my current backups without a hitch.
    Xtemulation - Emulation News and Downloads
    Xtemulation Forums - Emulation Support

Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post
    Germany (Which is where D-Tools is developed)
    That is a rumor.

Originally Posted by muffinhead
    Please tell me something is messed up here, I can't afford to pay $51 on a piece of software seeing as I can do better things with it such as paying my webhosting bill and buying games or something else to provide me with hours of entertainment as well as real life priorities.
    I didnt notice the currency convert from USD to EURO until I read your post. If I remember correctly, it was USD a few weeks ago (could be wrong, I just dont take care on such details, and when I got DT Pro, it was 35$ ... about 22€ ..).
    Well, to have something to compare this with: SlySoft does also convert their prices from USD to EUR. The reason was that their employees etc. have already been payed in € for some years. And while USD is getting weaker and weaker (in a few years you need 100$ to buy a Coke in Germany ), they cant convert it by using the interbank change ratio. If they did, DT/SlySoft had to raise the prices a short period after.

And now to your submission regarding all the other things you could do with 50$: If you buy a game, and your kids or even you break the CD/DVD, in most cases you have to buy the game a second time. So if you have many games, you should see DT Pro as a kind of insurance. You pay 50$ or 150$ (for 5 years) and you have fun with your games maybe for a longer time than you would have had before.
    If this isn't worth it for you, don't buy DT Pro.

(Ah, now I remember... DT Pro Standard costs as much as DT Pro when there was only 1 version. The Advanced version costs a few EURs more, but brings the vIDE feature, which is very very good ... and if I remember correctly, LocutusofBorg had arguments for the price raise which were similar to those I mentioned before.)
    Last edited by Benni; 06.12.2007, 12:01.
    MfG, Benni

Mail: benni@copybase.org
    IRC: #dt & #copybase at irc.copybase.org

Comment

how old are you ? that's how currency works. if i want to order from europe myself, it's even more for me. the euro is stronger then the us dollar, and only getting more so. if i want to buy from the us, i too pay higher prices since the us dollar is stronger then ours. try ordering something from the uk or kuwait. either way, like you just said, dt pro is but one game. so in your yearly game purchases subtract one and you're done.

Comment

ß, he doesn't hesitate because of the currency conversion. His question is, whether 50$ are too much or not. But I think the perfect man to discuss this with is LocutusofBorg -- the majesty -- himself. So wait a few hours and he will kick your ass as far as it needs you to buy DT Pro Advanced .
        MfG, Benni

Comment

Originally Posted by Benni View Post
          ß, he doesn't hesitate because of the currency conversion. His question is, whether 50$ are too much or not. But I think the perfect man to discuss this with is LocutusofBorg -- the majesty -- himself. So wait a few hours and he will kick your ass as far as it needs you to buy DT Pro Advanced .
          Is it going to cost me $50 or was that some weird misunderstanding?

I'm 24, at the moment I don't have a job and am living with my parents. I hopefully will be getting a job soon at a local pet depot since someone is leaving their position.

I wouldn't mind paying $50 if I had $50 at the time. $35 I don't mind paying and could pay that with no problem.

It's just I'm paying for hosting for my forum and am in the process of finding an apartment to rent.

I'll see what I have at the end of this month in terms of cash, I really want to support Daemon-Tools but without needing to install adware.

Also once I purchase a license for Daemon-Tools pro is my status on the forum automatically switched to "Customer" as well as access to the customer forum?

Any other hidden forums besides the customer forum that I get access to once I become a customer?

Thanks if anyone can answer my questions.

Comment

Also once I purchase a license for Daemon-Tools pro is my status on the forum automatically switched to "Customer" as well as access to the customer forum?
            Yes, it is.
            Any other hidden forums besides the customer forum that I get access to once I become a customer?
            No, there aren't.
            MfG, Benni

Comment

Is it going to cost me $50 or was that some weird misunderstanding?
              I'm 24, at the moment I don't have a job and am living with my parents. I hopefully will be getting a job soon at a local pet depot since someone is leaving their position.
              I wouldn't mind paying $50 if I had $50 at the time. $35 I don't mind paying and could pay that with no problem.
              It's just I'm paying for hosting for my forum and am in the process of finding an apartment to rent.
              I'll see what I have at the end of this month in terms of cash, I really want to support Daemon-Tools but without needing to install adware.
              Thanks if anyone can answer my questions.
              I'm not especially wealthy myself (and I'm honestly somewhat of a cheapskate), and I think that when purchasing software for 30-40 USD or more, it's worth some time considering the purchase.

But, the arguments Benni has given, are very true. It is almost like an insurance if you have many games. And as far as I know, there exists no other software able to emulate IDE drives - like DT Pro Advanced can. But - you don't necessarily need the Advanced edition. If I remember correctly, the only additional features in Advanced worth mentioning, are the vIDE feature and the possibility to convert existing images into .mds/.mdf.

With all that said, you don't have to install the adware in DT Lite. It's 100% optional. So - if you can't afford DT Pro, you're free to use DT Lite without adware. It has a checkbox during the installation ("Daemon Tools Search bar"). Remove that if you don't want it. Also, there is a question later in the installation, asking you to accept or decline that DT Lite changes your home page or something like that. You're free to click "Decline" - the software will still install. The Daemon Tools team have been nice enough to provide us with the opportunity to choose freely, while still being able to use the software.
              Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
                I'm not especially wealthy myself (and I'm honestly somewhat of a cheapskate), and I think that when purchasing software for 30-40 USD or more, it's worth some time considering the purchase.

But, the arguments Benni has given, are very true. It is almost like an insurance if you have many games. And as far as I know, there exists no other software able to emulate IDE drives - like DT Pro Advanced can. But - you don't necessarily need the Advanced edition. If I remember correctly, the only additional features in Advanced worth mentioning, are the vIDE feature and the possibility to convert existing images into .mds/.mdf.

With all that said, you don't have to install the adware in DT Lite. It's 100% optional. So - if you can't afford DT Pro, you're free to use DT Lite without adware. It has a checkbox during the installation ("Daemon Tools Search bar"). Remove that if you don't want it. Also, there is a question later in the installation, asking you to accept or decline that DT Lite changes your home page or something like that. You're free to click "Decline" - the software will still install. The Daemon Tools team have been nice enough to provide us with the opportunity to choose freely, while still being able to use the software.
                I agree with what Benni said, it does sound worth it. I need the advance version of pro since D-Tools New version is already blacklisted by Securom and I don't feel like reinstalling an older version which isn't.

Is it really $51 as I thought, or was that a misunderstanding?

I still gather the $51 was the right price in US dollars as I mentioned in my first post.

Comment

Yes, from my (manual) calculations 34,90 EUR is about 51.08 USD, which makes 51 USD a very fair currency conversion.

When I said "you don't necessarily need the Advanced edition", I was comparing it to DT Pro Standard edition, not DT Lite. There are many differences between DT Lite and DT Pro, but not so many differences between DT Pro Standard and Advanced editions. When it comes to blacklisting, the two DT Pro editions are (as far as I can imagine and as far as I know) identical. DT Lite is however a little behind, and probably always will be, as DT Pro has first priority.

Comment

By the way, I made it sound as if there were only two DT Pro editions. But there is a third edition, the Basic edition. I don't think that's the version for you, though, which is why I didn't mention it before.

Comment

Ok, thanks then. I'll try to save $51 and put it aside for daemon tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X