DVD physical drive is completely gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD physical drive is completely gone

Yesterday I installed the Daemon Tools version 4.1, I did create a virtual drive and could use it. So far so good.

Fast forward to this morning and I noticed that my DVD drive (HP Dv8000 laptop) is gone, not only I canґt see it on My Computer, itґs gone from the Device Manager Panel too. No trace at all.
    The drive still works, if I open the tray and insert a disc it spins up tries to read but that`s all.

I already spent a long time browsing the forums here and nothing on previous "Gazooks! my drive disappeared!" threads has worked.

-I unistalled the Daemon Tools but no DVD drive.
    -Installed again and tried to create a new drive, but still no real DVD drive.
    -Fiddled with the Registry and no DVD drive.
    -Drew a Pentagram on the floor and sacrificed a goat to the computing gods and still no drive.

Please, help me out here since Iґm going on holidays this weekend and I wanted to take the chance to watch some DVD`s! =/

Which DT version exactly on which OS ?

Have you already tried to uninstall SPTD access layer with the Standalone (Un-)Installer from http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads ?
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
      Which DT version exactly on which OS ?
      Have you already tried to uninstall SPTD access layer with the Standalone (Un-)Installer from http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads ?

Version 4.10, and running on Windows XP Media Edition (I know, I hold my head in shame)

I tried what you suggested, still no DVD drive.

Comment

Did you activated the "Hide CD-R/ATIP"-Option?
        Elfen Lied - unangefochtene Spitze der Animes.
        Habt ihr was an der dt. Sprachdatei zu meckern?
        Schreibt mir eine PN!
        If you've got questions that do not concern to account or hardware incompabilty stuff, you can write me a PM. Otherwise use our forum!

Comment

if the hide cdr/atip option makes the physical drives disappear, i would be worried... hide cdr/atip makes any burned disk appear original.... so hardly relevant i think (unless you know of some bug etc.. bismax ? )
          my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Originally Posted by bismax View Post
            Did you activated the "Hide CD-R/ATIP"-Option?
            I can`t find that option anywhere on the tray icon menu, in any case it`s not, to the best of my knowledge, turned on.

Comment

Have you tried removing the LowerFilters and UpperFilters values in registry? I had a very similar (or perhaps even identical) problem that was solved by following these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us
              Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
                Have you tried removing the LowerFilters and UpperFilters values in registry? I had a very similar (or perhaps even identical) problem that was solved by following these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us
                Already tried that, no help,sigh...

Comment

Are you sure your drive is visible by BIOS then?
                  Where is it connected?
                  Maybe also worth looking into system event log to check if any errors occured in your system during boot.

Comment

Originally Posted by Development View Post
                    Are you sure your drive is visible by BIOS then?
                    Where is it connected?
                    Maybe also worth looking into system event log to check if any errors occured in your system during boot.
                    I went into the BIOS configuration the day I got the problem, no drive there neither, not a nice sympton I guess.
                    As I said, it`s a laptop drive, I didn`t open the machine up so it`s definitely not a matter of me monkeying with the cables.

Regarding the System Event Log, the last error report is from more than one year ago, if it helps any it says: The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

Comment

Most laptop drives can still be removed. Usually there's just one screw holding them in place. Some do require significant disassembly of the laptop to get to, but some are removable by taking out just one screw on the bottom. Worth checking into.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
                        Most laptop drives can still be removed. Usually there's just one screw holding them in place. Some do require significant disassembly of the laptop to get to, but some are removable by taking out just one screw on the bottom. Worth checking into.
                        Do you think that by unplugin and plugin the drive again the computer should detect it? If I`m not mistaken I should connect it to a different socket for that, but I don`t know if there`s a spare one to do so...

I guess I should try.

Comment

I would definitely give it a shot, if your laptop just has the one screw on the bottom holding the drive in place. Obviously, it's probably not worth trying yourself if the screw is hidden and inaccessible, unless you're comfortable with that kind of work.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
                            I would definitely give it a shot, if your laptop just has the one screw on the bottom holding the drive in place. Obviously, it's probably not worth trying yourself if the screw is hidden and inaccessible, unless you're comfortable with that kind of work.
                            I uninstalled the DVD drive, rebooted, nothing.
                            Plugged the drive in again... nothing.

This is starting to be annoying, a 2000+ dollar laptop messed up by one little piece of software.

I really, really don`t want to go out and buy an external burner so I can back up my data and try reinstalling Windows; besides, since the BIOS doesn`t show the drive I have no waranties that it will work after doing that.

So I`m still open at suggestions.

Comment

DAEMON Tools does not interact with physical drives in any way and cannot damage them. If it got broken then there must be other reasons for this. if your power supply burns after insatalling DT will you blame us too?

Comment

Working...
                              X