Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with running Daemon Tools in Vista Home Premium.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with running Daemon Tools in Vista Home Premium.

Hey,

I just installed Daemon Tools on my Windows Vista Home Premium and have a problem getting it to run .iso files.
    See... it does not create any virtual drives. I can press between 0 - 4 drives and nothing happens.

I have already said "Run as admin", yet no responds. It didn't gave any error due the setup nor the start up so I have no clue what is wrong.

Regards,
    Mr. Zero

No ideas why?

Comment

Check thread about missing/disapearing drives in common problems and solutions forum.
      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Hi, I have the same exact problems but I was completely unable to find a solution.

I have a brand new HP Pavillion notebook with Vista Home Premium, and the symptoms are the same as the ones described by this user.

I have read throughly the material that I found on this forum, but I was completely unable to fix the problem.

For the topic starter, the problem is basically that the virtual device is not recognized by Vista as a CD-ROM or DVD drive, so no drivers are installed for it. If you go to Device Manager, you will see the Daemon's Tools virtual device listed in the unknown devices, and if you check the drivers that are being used on the device, you will have NO FILE used for the device at all.

This is exactly my case and - btw I have also tried MagicISO and Virtual Clone Drive and they all show the same exact problem: the virtual device is not recognized at all by the system as being a CD/DVD drive, no drivers are installed and the final result is that you cannot assign a drive letter to the unit.

The topic that is being referred to by the admin here is this one:

On my installation of Windows Vista Home Premium, I followed the instructions but the installation will fail saying that no suitable driver has been found.

I am here with no solution, and no virtual drive on my Vista installation. It would be nice to have a definitive guide to fix this problem because it seems that the solutions are not working.

I tried several times to install the drivers, by pointing manually to \Windows\Inf\cdrom.inf, or by telling the system that the device was a generic CD-ROM/DVD drive, but all of my attempts failed.

After checking out the contents of the cdrom.inf file I even tried to change the virtual device vendor name to MITSUMI and the device name to "CD-ROM device", but even that failed. Btw, I used to have an 1x Mitsumi drive back in 1994 :-)

Now, it would be really useful for the Daemon's Tools forum administrators to find a definitive solution to this problem because regardless of my best efforts, this problem does not seem to get fixed. After trying the two afore mentioned programs, I am fully aware that this is not a D.T. related problem, but rather a Vista problem, but regardless of this, a solution must be found or D.T. will really start to lose users and us will lose a major service that we use.

Since an admin is here, any help would be appreciated.

As the last resort, I could even try to tamper the cdrom.inf and add the fake vendor name and device id of the D.T. virtual driver as being one of the standard drivers, but I am not fully qualified to tamper the cdrom.inf file to that extent, and I might quite easily make my brand new notebook unbootable.

Any help would be appreciated. This is a major issue on Vista.

Comment

Hi, I have been checking my Windows Vista installation and here's the result.

On my notebook, the following files are missing:

- C:\Windows\System32\drivers\storprop.dll
          - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\imapi.sys
          - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\redbook.sys

These are the drivers required to make a standard cdrom work.

I checked my integrated slim DVD burner drivers, and it has completely different drivers, namely:

- cdrom.sys (this is required for the D.T. driver too)
          - ElbyDelay.sys
          - PxHelp20.sys

I am beginning to wonder if - for notebooks - the standard CDROM/DVD drivers are not installed at all, and that is why Daemon's Tools virtual drive will not work. This could make sense on a notebook, that you do know will not have another CD or DVD drive, unless USB or firewire (but in any case external, with a specific driver).

It might be that we have to find these files and try to feed them to Windows Vista somehow, but if this is the case, it is very likely that the cdrom.inf file is also modified for notebooks and might not work too, even if we do have the proper .sys files.

Hopefully an admin will know if this is going in the right direction..

Comment

Originally Posted by Namless User View Post
            Hi, I have been checking my Windows Vista installation and here's the result.
            On my notebook, the following files are missing:
            - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\storprop.dll
            - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\imapi.sys
            - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\redbook.sys
            These are the drivers required to make a standard cdrom work.
            I don't have any of those three drivers either, and everything works as expected here. This is a desktop computer (not a laptop) running Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

It's still possible that you're missing some files or that your cdrom.inf is corrupt, but the three driver files you mentioned aren't necessary for the correct operation of CD/DVD drives - physical/IDE nor virtual/SCSI.

Good luck hunting down the problem. I'm sorry that I don't have any good suggestions for you.
            Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
              I don't have any of those three drivers either, and everything works as expected here. This is a desktop computer (not a laptop) running Windows Vista Ultimate x64.
              did you check the folder in a 64 bit version of explorer? cos, checking from command prompt or the 32 bit explorer will cause the dir to be redirected due to file shadowing...
              my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Originally Posted by evlncrn8 View Post
                did you check the folder in a 64 bit version of explorer? cos, checking from command prompt or the 32 bit explorer will cause the dir to be redirected due to file shadowing...
                I've checked the 64-bit folder with 64-bit Explorer.

By the way, as far as I know "shadowing" is an expression normally associated with the shadow copy service, which has nothing to do with redirection.
                Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

hm, my sucesfully instaled DT 4.11.1 cann't assign a drive letter to his virtual drive?!

Comment

my friend i had the same problem and i just found the solution.so here it is...check installing dt again but first plug out an usb devisesyou have on your pc!in my case the problem caused by a usb hub i had installed.i disconnected the device,i installed again dt and now its all ok.try it and tell me!!!!!

Comment

bourne47, its 4 me, or for Mr. Zero?

Comment

Originally Posted by xLynx View Post
                        bourne47, its 4 me, or for Mr. Zero?
                        for mr zero.but you can try it too.i dont know

Comment

Working...
                        X