4.11 Lite: "Unable to mount image. Unable to open file in kernel mode"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.11 Lite: "Unable to mount image. Unable to open file in kernel mode"

First off, before I rant and rave, let me say that I've been using DT since their inception. You guys have taken what other programs have done, made it free, and made it great. Now it seems that greed or opportunity has changed what you guys started out doing...

When I reinstall Windows on a computer, one of the very first things I do is install the latest version of DT on it. I leave the stupid search bar, just to do my part to help out. Now 4.11 "lite" is out. I've installed it on three different OSs (XP, Vista32, Vista64), all with the same result when trying to open ANY image file, be it ISO, BIN/CUE, etc...

"Unable to mount image. Unable to open file in kernel mode"

I read this thread and saw someone had the same problem. Well, I've reformatted, and reformatted again. It must be some incompatibility with a piece of hardware in my system.

Now this puzzles me, as I've been running this motherboard for a year using DT with no issues. So I uninstall 4.11 and install a copy of 4.08 I had laying around (thank goodness I still had it), and lo and behold... no more message. I didn't even need to reboot!

The only difference I can see between 4.08 and 4.11 is the setup installer throws a variety of crap at you. It doesn't seem to matter whether you install it or not (it is spyware/adware at its worst), the program still throws the same message. I can only assume the programmers were so focused on getting revenue that they somehow broke the program... at least for certain configurations.

What's happened guys? I wonder how quickly this post will be deleted. Am I really the only one having this problem?

Why would we delete it? We know that not all users are happy with the adware, DT panel etc., that's why it is optional, i.e. if you don't like it, you don't have to use it.
    Anyhow, it'd be good to tell us your complete system specs, and especially where are the images located (local ide, sata, scsi, network, external usb, firewire etc., which controller and drivers used, etc.).
    Best would be you mail support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread, so we can send you files to trace this issue.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for coming off irritated, but there seemed to be quite a large increase in the non-critical functions of the program.

The files are located on a network share, as they've always been for me. 4.08 worked as it usually does, flawlessly. 4.11 doesn't work at all. I get the message on each and every image, regardless of type. I have not tried copying an image over to the local computer, so if you want me to try that, I will.

Here are my system specs, but like I said... this config was fine for all the other versions of DT:

Microsoft Vista Ultimate (x86)
      Athlon FX-55 CPU
      Epox EP-9NPAJ SLI mainboard
      BFG 8800GT PCI-E video card
      Integrated sound
      Realtek 10/100/1000 ethernet (8169 chip)
      1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      74GB Seagate 10000rpm SATA drive
      250GB IDE drive
      Plextor 16x DVD-RW

Comment

Please contact our support mail, and ensure you use newest network drivers.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm storing them on my local drive (and I've tried erasing and re-copying them several times). The first time I installed 4.11 lite it worked, and after I restarted my computer I keep getting the same error message.

System Specs.

Windows XP SP2
          Athlon xp 3200+
          1Gb ram
          ATI Radeon x1650 Pro
          200gb WD 7200 rpm HD
          Epox 8RDA3+ MB

Comment

Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
            The files are located on a network share
            Please specify what this share is: eg. Windows Server 2003.
            other Vista computer etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Development View Post
              Please specify what this share is: eg. Windows Server 2003.
              other Vista computer etc.
              Sorry, like I said... I removed 4.11 and put 4.08 on, which works fine, so I haven't been checking this thread.

The files are on a Win2k3 server.

Comment

How are we supposed to fix it then?

If you cannot help us provide more info to trace this problem
                then your report is useless. You can use 4.08 forever, but no do not expect it to be fixed then.

Sorry, but it works perfectly for us from all network shares, even Linux ones.

Comment

Originally Posted by Development View Post
                  How are we supposed to fix it then?
                  If you cannot help us provide more info to trace this problem
                  then your report is useless. You can use 4.08 forever, but no do not expect it to be fixed then.
                  Sorry, but it works perfectly for us from all network shares, even Linux ones.
                  Well, as long as it works good for you I guess there's nothing to worry about then!

Comment

Hello, i'm having the same problem, i have a fresh Win XP Pro SP2 install with DT 4.11.2. I try to mount images from a Windows 2003 R2 share, but it doesn't work.
                    In the eventlog then I see an error in the system log.

Comment

What error you see then?

Comment

it was an error in my language (dutch), the source was de virtual drive name of the DT DVD. I cannot reproduce it anymore because i have installed DT 4.10 and it works fine.
                        Later i will try again to install the last version en if the error log appears again i will post it and try to translate it.

Comment

i have installed again version 4.11.2, when i try to mount an image from a Windows 2003 R2 share i get the following error in the system even log (i try to translate it because it's written in dutch):

Can not found the description for event-ID (4) in source (a105ftmj). The local computer may not have enough register information or DLL message files to show messages from an external computer. You can try the swith /AUXSOURCE= to get this information. Look to the help en support for details.

I think that this message means that the logging handling is not done well.
                          The Type of this error log is Fault, and the source is a105ftmj.

Comment

Please mail our support support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to your post in this thread.

Comment

I'm also having problems with Daemon Tools Lite 4.11.2 together with "My Movies 2.42" (http://www.mymovies.dk/) on two of my computers (one with XP Media Center Edition and one with Vista Ultimate x86).

To be able to use the My Movies application I have to turn off the secure mode since it's using command line calls with daemon tools.

The movies I try to open are located on file shares on my Windows 2003 server.

Opening the files directly in daemon tools works some of the times, but I've got the "unable to open file in kernel mode" there too, but it always seem to fail from my movies.

Since I reverted to daemon tools 4.08 everything works good as it used to again, so there seems to be some kind of bug in the latest version.

Comment

Working...
                              X