Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daemon Tools 4.11.x is NOT installing (Error Code 14)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools 4.11.x is NOT installing (Error Code 14)

Hi everybody! First of all, sorry for my English. I'm a Spanish-Speaking person.

There's a problem with the last 3 versions of Daemon Tools Lite (4.11.x), at least for me.

I'm receiving an "Error Code 14" stop message when I'm trying to install the program. The error appears after the reboot from installing SPTD 1.53, when the setup automatically restart. SPTD seems to install correctly.

This problem is happening to me in Windows XP and Windows Vista. Even, I'm just received the same error on a just new installed Windows XP machine, withouth anything that the NVIDIA Drivers for Chipset, Video, LAN and Audio, so, definitely isn't, for example, an Antivirus o Firewall blocking the setup. There's something wrong with DT, or SPTD.

Daemon Tools 4.10 installs correctly, witouth any errors, and after SPTD 1.53 installs itself from the 4.11.x package. So, Now I'm using that combination.

The only thing in common, and might be the problem, is that I've got Windows in Spanish.

I hope that this will be fixed soon.

Regards, Jolo.

Same problem on a new Dell XPS M1330 with genuine Windows Vista Ultimate x86 Spanish.

Unpacked the box, start the computer, uninstall McAfee (bloatware), and tried to install DT 4.11.2.

Error Code 14.

Regards,

Jolo.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jolo_CL View Post
      Same problem on a new Dell XPS M1330 with genuine Windows Vista Ultimate x86 Spanish.
      Unpacked the box, start the computer, uninstall McAfee (bloatware), and tried to install DT 4.11.2.
      Error Code 14.
      Regards,
      Jolo.
      Error found.

When you change the original .exe installer name to another, for example "Daemon Tools Lite 4.11.2.exe", and you use non-ordinary characters like accents (ґ) or points, give this error.

When you re-change to the original name, or "daemon.exe", it installs correctly.

I suggest to check this.

Regards,

Jolo.

Comment

Thank you for your help Jolo_CL

Just wanted to say that I had the same problem on a freshly installed Windows XP Pro. Couldn't figure out the problem since I install it in the same way every time. But I always change the name of the downloaded file to a more "friendly" name. In this case I had changed from original 'daemon4112-lite' to 'Daemon Tools Lite 4.11.2 SPTD 1.53'. Got the "Error code: 14." when installing. Found this thread and changed the filename back to the original name, and it installed without any hickups.

This has not been a problem with previous versions.

Comment

This has actually been reported before, so it's a known bug. The problem isn't with a specific version, and it's not with renaming the file, it's when you rename it and make it too long (I can't remember how many characters the installer will allow). I thought this bug was fixed already, but apparently not.

Comment

Limit is 63 symbols for name + extension (without path).
            In next version we will not allow renaming setup files at all
            - they need be same as distributed on server.

Comment

Any particular reason why? I like to rename them to specify whether it's the x86 or x64 version. Not being able to rename the files just means a frustrated user base if you ask me. Not to mention one more source of headaches for support (e.g. threads such as this one with a "problem" that shouldn't really be a problem).

Comment

If you want add some info you need create readme.txt or create new folder with any name you want. Afterall both 32 and 64 are now in 1 file.
                Actually exactly users who rename files cause us more headaches. Name of files belong to our copyright - and we do not entitle anyone to change them in any way.

Comment

That's true, I forgot about the announcement that it's one download now. However, there wouldn't be any issues if the 63-char limitation didn't exist, which seems to be a self-made limitation that I've not seen anywhere else. If there's a development reason why it's necessary, please forgive my ignorance, but to the best of my knowledge I can think of no "reason" it has to be that short.

In the end, it's your choice, but I do wonder why you feel this is a necessary step.

Comment

I simply hate it to not being able to rename the setup files.
                    I don't like it this way. It isn't necessary but therefore annoying.
                    I mean I have file name conventions, so that I can find my files easily and also know all what I want/need to know (some parts I would use Readme-Files anyway but...) and therefore I would need to rename the setup-file, however that isn't allowed anymore.

Btw. what do you mean with the name of files belong to copyright?
                    Even if you have put it somewhere into the EULA, I wonder if this would be in effect in e.g. Germany (as it is with Microsoft's OEM versions).
                    Last edited by ghost_zero; 19.01.2008, 15:11.

Comment

@ghost_zero:

well is it possible to make a winzip (or winrar) compressed file with the name of file whatever you wish?

Comment

That's certainly an option, but it's definitely not the best option. Is there a reason why the naming limitation has been placed on the files? Is there some technical reason that prevents the installer from working properly if it's over 63 characters?

Comment

It is quite annoying to users without being able to rename files. On the other hand, there must be a strong reason for DT Soft not allowing that; I should guess it relates to illegal cracking problems.

Well, I have no intention to step into this arguement, in fact I should like to rasie a suggestion to sovle that.

Originally Posted by Alco View Post
                          @ghost_zero:
                          well is it possible to make a winzip (or winrar) compressed file with the name of file whatever you wish?
                          This is a good idea, but can be altered a bit:

DT Soft just makes one more 'shell', which is similar to SFX's way, to contain the real Daemon Tools's setup file. The setup file does not allow to be renamed, but the 'shell' (ie SFX executable file) can be renamed by the will of users.

Comment

I should just like to supplement:

In this page Daemon Tools Lite sector:

It says: '!! THIS VERSION SUPPORTS 32BIT OS (Microsoft Windows XP, Windows2003, Windows 2000, VISTA) ONLY !!'

I am afraid it should be 32-bit and 64 bit.

Comment

MaLing:

Yep, you are right :-)

We will correct this!

Comment

Working...
                              X