Invalid purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invalid purchase

Every so often DT PRO wants me to validate my license, and comes back with an INVALID PURCHASE warning, telling me I need to go to disc-soft.com and straighten things out.

This usually corresponds to a new version release.

Does this mean that once my 1-year registration expires, and subsequently a new version comes out, that the older version will deactivate and I'll be stuck with a non-working program?

H@P

I just _love_ bulky registration schemes that treat customers like criminals...

Originally Posted by H@P View Post
    Does this mean that once my 1-year registration expires, and subsequently a new version comes out, that the older version will deactivate and I'll be stuck with a non-working program?
    This is a good question that deserves an answer. But, even if we are still under subscription, why are we forced to update in these situations? Notification is one thing, but to render an installation unusable simply because a newer version is released is pretty harsh. I prefer to update on my schedule for my reasons - especially for something like DT which typically requires a reboot for an update.

Comment

you should update the latest build (219) and not the previous - build which already was canceled by you

Comment

Originally Posted by Alco View Post
        you should update the latest build (219) and not the previous - build which already was canceled by you
        That's my point. I didn't "cancel" my build. I just tried to run the version I have installed, and it told me to enter the e-mail address I registered with, after which it told me it was an INVALID PURCHASE and I had to straighten things out with disc-soft.com.

This happens every time there's a new version. What if I don't want to update immediately after a new build comes out? Or back to my original question, what if I can't because my subscription has expired?

I understand the 1-year subscription buys me 1-year of updates. I just want to make sure I can continue to use whatever version I have after my subscription expires.

And it's looking like this may not be the case.

H@P

Comment

if you would login to your www.disc-soft.com account and there cancel your previous build (for example build 218) then you should download build 219 and install it.

but of course you are NOT obliged (not required) to cancel your current build, so you can use your current build FOREVER.

P.S.
          We see that you canceled your build 218 couple days ago, so now you have to download and activate build 219.
          As soon as you canceled previous build you can use only build 219.

You can send me a PM if you still have some specific Disc-soft.com account issues.

Comment

Please re-read H@P's 2nd post because this problem also happens to me, so if it is not supposed to happen then we have a bug in the activation/validation system that needs to be addressed. Note that DT Pro becomes unusable before the current install is 'canceled'. All that seems to need to happen is that a newer version becomes available.

Comment

so far we do not see problems on our side - if there is indeed some bug (as user may still believe) I would suggest to this user to send a support message:

Contact DAEMON Tools technical support with any questions or issues.

Comment

We see that you canceled your build 218 couple days ago, so now you have to download and activate build 219.
                As soon as you canceled previous build you can use only build 219.
                I understand how the registration process works. For clarity, these are the steps I went through a few days back.

1. I tried to run the 218 version.
                2. It popped up a dialog saying I needed to enter the e-mail address I registered with.
                3. It said there was some problem, that it was an INVALID PURCHASE, and I needed to go to disc-soft.com to straighten things out.
                4. I went to disc-soft.com because I knew there must be a newer version available, because this is NOT the first time this has happened to me. This SAME THING has happened to me with EVERY release so far since I purchased it.
                5. There was a new version available, so I cancelled my 218 build, downloaded the 219 build, and activated it.
                6. I realized there is a potential problem with this activation scheme, because it keeps deactivating the version I have installed whenever a newer version comes out. I figured I'd better post a problem report before my subscription expires. And here we are.

I *DID NOT* cancel my 218 build until *AFTER* 218 told me it was an INVALID PURCHASE.

And I want to make sure it will not deactivate on me after my subscription expires and I'm left with a non-working program.

I use the DT Pro disc imaging portion rather infrequently. I mainly use the explorer-integrated mounting portion. I understand there is a "phone home"-like scheme that wants to run every few weeks. I haven't run the disc imaging interface since just after 218 was released, and the previous version (216?) deactivated by itself then as well. Perhaps my infrequent use of the disc imaging portion of the program is part of the problem.

I'll submit a report to the link you provided.

H@P
                Last edited by H@P; 14.01.2008, 21:07. Reason: clarified similar deactivation with prior build

Comment

I use the DT Pro disc imaging portion rather infrequently. I mainly use the explorer-integrated mounting portion. I understand there is a "phone home"-like scheme that wants to run every few weeks. I haven't run the disc imaging interface since just after 218 was released, and the previous version (216?) deactivated by itself then as well. Perhaps my infrequent use of the disc imaging portion of the program is part of the problem.
                  This is similar to my use pattern - I wonder if you have hit on something here...

Comment

so far we do not see problems on our side - if there is indeed some bug (as user may still believe) I would suggest to this user to send a support message:
                    http://www.disc-soft.com/sendmsg/tech

The tech support department is awesome for asking for my account information, and telling me that my account is fine...

... except I already know my account is fine. There is nothing wrong with my account. The problem is with your program automatically deactivating itself after it hasn't been used for a while and a new version comes out.

They don't seem understand the problem, and it doesn't appear there's any way for me to get the point across.

They respond to my initial e-mail posted from the support page you linked, but not to any replies after that. And the initial response is less than helpful, telling me only that my account is fine and I just need to activate the new version. That's fine... until my subscription expires and I CAN'T activate the new version.

I see that V220 is now out. I think I'll wait a few weeks, then try and run V219 again... and when it stops working AGAIN I'll contact tech support AGAIN and perhaps then they'll get it.

Unimpressed so far.

H@P
                    Last edited by H@P; 23.01.2008, 21:48.

Comment

We see from our logs that you were trying to update your "exe" file of "DTPro219" or "DTPro218" using your DTPro216-license key file!
                      (though on Disc-Soft.com web site you have Revoked your previous version and updated your verison to 219)

--

As your 219 License now successfully activated you can now safely "Revoke" it, "Upgrade" to latest 220 version, download DTPro220.exe AND new (for 220) License keyfile. Then you could install this new version using these two files.

Important:
                      Then you can install this new version using these 2 (two) files.
                      AND please be sure you DON'T using old (216 or 219) Licence key file!

P.S.
                      Or of course if you still believe that there is some bug you can continue using DTPro219 and let us know if it would stop working all of sudden without any actions made from your side!

Comment

Pre Purchase License query

The tech support department is awesome for asking for my account information, and telling me that my account is fine...
                        ... except I already know my account is fine. There is nothing wrong with my account. The problem is with your program automatically deactivating itself after it hasn't been used for a while and a new version comes out.
                        They don't seem understand the problem, and it doesn't appear there's any way for me to get the point across.
                        They respond to my initial e-mail posted from the support page you linked, but not to any replies after that. And the initial response is less than helpful, telling me only that my account is fine and I just need to activate the new version. That's fine... until my subscription expires and I CAN'T activate the new version.
                        I see that V220 is now out. I think I'll wait a few weeks, then try and run V219 again... and when it stops working AGAIN I'll contact tech support AGAIN and perhaps then they'll get it.
                        Unimpressed so far.
                        H@P
                        Hi, you make a very valid point. I am currently using the Pro Basic Trial version and am thinking of purchasing the Pro Advanced 1 yr updates license. But the problem you describe has me worried.

DT need to answer and sort out the problem correctly.

Has anyone else found this problem? i.e. the software forces you to update to the latest version because YOUR CURRENT INSTALLED VERSION of the program STOPS working?

I do not think I will buy the Pro Advanced until this is answered properly, otherwise I may be forced to buy a new subscription every year or it may stop working just when I need it most.

Thanks

S9

Comment

@sanstorm999:

no it was just one complaint (and we still strongly believe that is was because of user's mistake: he tried to use the old license key file for validating a new version of DT Pro)

Anyway we would be able to refund your purchase if you would have such problem!

Comment

no it was just one complaint (and we still strongly believe that is was because of user's mistake: he tried to use the old license key file for validating a new version of DT Pro)
                            Actually, this happens to me, too. And it happens without doing anything to license key files.

It did not happen to me with the update to 4.12 (yet), so maybe it's no longer a problem (though there seems to be anecdotal evidence that the problem is related to infrequent use, so checking so soon after actually using 4.11 might have introduced a Heisenberg Effect).

Comment

Originally Posted by mwb1100 View Post
                              Actually, this happens to me, too. And it happens without doing anything to license key files.
                              It did not happen to me with the update to 4.12 (yet), so maybe it's no longer a problem (though there seems to be anecdotal evidence that the problem is related to infrequent use, so checking so soon after actually using 4.11 might have introduced a Heisenberg Effect).
                              Exactly. I don't _think_ I did anything wrong with this past update, or any other time this happened to me. I just tried to run the DT PRO imaging part of the software after not having used it for a while. Watch out though, they may look through their logs and "prove" you don't know what you're talking about either.

Their "phone home" registration scheme supposedly checks in every few weeks (does anybody know how often exactly?) so I'll wait until then before beating this dead horse down again.

H@P
                              Last edited by H@P; 30.01.2008, 21:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X