Whoopsie with Visa>Vista upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoopsie with Visa>Vista upgrade

I had a problem with my PC recently and was recommended by the M$ support slave to run the Vista install disc on my Vista and act if I was upgrading a previous OS, it rewrote a lot of the old Windows folder and fixed my problem but I was sensible enough to forget about DAMON Tools (along with my firewall, but my firewall is sane and can uninstall). So the driver part of DAEMON was presumably deleted.

I now can't uninstall "Setup is unable to validate installation", or install. Installer asks me to restart, and when I restart it asks me to do so again, etc. Is there a force uninstall option, or a force reinstall? I don't even know what version of DT it is, though the file version for daemon.dll is 4.10.0.0 and size is 975 840 bytes.

Thank you!

well upgrading your credit card to an operating system probably isnt going to work anyway (couldnt resist...) ;p

did you uninstall sptd?
    my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Try to reinstall SPTD (www.duplexsecure.com)
      Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
      Peace Through Power

Comment

I downloaded the SPTD installer and it didn't detect any prev. install so I clicked install. After reboot DT gave the same error "Init. error 0, DT requires at least W 2000 and SPTD 1.43+", and the installer still doesn't see any installed SPTD. I tried again with no change.

Comment

@bobbobbob
          Hi
          First of all you need to download the latest SPTD 1.55 setup from http://www.duplexsecure.com
          Then use SPTD setup to uninstall SPTD driver from your system. Restart your system.
          Open Start menu -> Run... -> start regedit.exe (standard system registry editor).
          Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\sptd" registry key and remove it.
          Uninstall DAEMON Tools. In case "Setup is unable to validate installation" error will appear again, just remove DT folder with all the files.
          Download the latest DAEMON Tools Lite and install it.
          Welcome to the dark side, my dear padavan. We have cookies

Comment

I can't uninstall SPTD as the setup never sees it installed, even immediately after a reboot from having installed it. Is there a force uninstall option or something for thst setup program?

Comment

You've to un-install SPTD manually then.
              Open registry editor, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd, change value "Start" to 4, and reboot.
              After reboot enable all permissions of sptd\cfg key, then delete whole sptd key in services hive, and reboot.
              Then start re-installation, beginning with SPTD layer v1.55. After required reboot run SPTD installer again, if it doesn't detect SPTD do NOT install Daemon Tools!
              Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
              They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Yay! Thanks heaps everyone, great support for a great program (I've installed your sponsor thing - that's how pleased I am). Thank you!

PS: It works now.

Comment

Just an after-thought, whenever I boot up the PC now DAEMON Tools gives an error to the tune of "invalid command line option". It runs fine and I don't think it's a grave problem, though I was wondering how to fix it (or where DAEMON Tools has left it's start-at-boot thing, I am not yet all that used to Vista). Not urgent or important or anything.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X