.msi ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .msi ??

Will the newest version of Daemon Tools Lite (4.11.2) be made available in an .msi? I am trying to send it out to a few computers through our Active Directory setup, and an .msi is the only way I can do this. The older versions are all available in .msi but I was hoping to use the newest version for stability/ease of use.

Thanks!

Hello Brasco85
    Unfortunately, msi will not be used anymore because of technical reasons.
    Welcome to the dark side, my dear padavan. We have cookies

Comment

Do you care to elaborate a bit on the technical reasons? I have tried doing a complete rebuild of DT into an .msi and can get it close. It installs fine but starts complaining about not having access to the registry and so I can't get it to mount a virtual drive. Other than that everything works fine in it.

What I really need is some way to deploy this via Group Policy to my users. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

We are not going to elaborate about technical reasons here - we informed you that Windows Installer technology will never be used again, that's it. There are no plans to change current setup engine in the nearest future.
        Installation of DT with other setup except distributed will not be supported and will NOT work as expected - so you better not waste time.
        Also it violates EULA. If you do so you do it at your own responsibilty and own risk only - we will not give any support on such occasions and answer why it works or not.
        If you need some automation of setup to multiple user machines then consider some other mechanisms like logon scripts etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Brasco85 View Post
          Do you care to elaborate a bit on the technical reasons? I have tried doing a complete rebuild of DT into an .msi and can get it close. It installs fine but starts complaining about not having access to the registry and so I can't get it to mount a virtual drive. Other than that everything works fine in it.
          What I really need is some way to deploy this via Group Policy to my users. Any suggestions?
          Thanks!
          You know, DTools - in a commercial environment - requires registration. I assume you've purchased licenses for all of these machines you're deploying onto? I don't see a customer tag. If you've purchased the licenses, you should gain access to the Customer forum, and maybe get a little more help with setting it up using the current installer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
            You know, DTools - in a commercial environment - requires registration. I assume you've purchased licenses for all of these machines you're deploying onto?
            Nope, since the organization that I work for is a School District, I am under the understanding that I don't need a license. Isn't this correct?

Comment

I believe you may be correct, in which case you can disregard my comment. Though it may be worth considering having one license purchased, as customers receive priority support over non-customers. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
              X