DAEMON Tools Lite 4.12 Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAEMON Tools Lite 4.12 Setup

There's a problem with the installer that if I change the name of the *.exe file it won't be able to be installed:

That's not a bug, it is intentional to avoid problems with renamed setup files.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

As I already said in another thread:
      I think that this is annoying and if you ask me it will probably just cause more problems or at least it annoys people, e.g. I can't rename it according to my file name conventions now - makes finding it a.s.o. more troublesome.

Comment

why not make a rar/zip/something file containing the exe that isn't remade?.. make it sfx if you really need to... i would have to agree though that the 'forced' naming might piss off some people, but if its required as a portion of the protection then i guess the rar/zip/sfx is the only real solution here
        my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Protection? Forced naming doesn't protect anything. However it seems that e.g. old DT-Setup-Files only allow a certain amount of characters and if you use to many after renaming you would get an error.
          Btw. Always extracting things first is no real option either. It isn't that much problem here because the file is relatively small but if you have e.g. 100MB-Setup-File... Not to mention that in most cases you then have to extract twice because the setup normally already has the files stored compressed.

Also as I am using a limited user-account I need to use the "Run as" option for installing purposes and therefore I would need to first extract the file and then run it which isn't that gread also...
          Furthermore most times you alreay rename the files during download process and then you find out you can't start it because it doesn't have the correct name. (You then need to go to the site again to find out what the file was originally called (at least in most cases you would have to do so).
          Last edited by ghost_zero; 20.01.2008, 10:55.

Comment

forced naming allows for a hash of the name / data in the file etc which could be used for protection purposes... i cant see any other reason for a forced name during install... could also be a limitation by the installer or whatnot.. or installer checks itself to extract data from the exe during install which would be sloppy programming, who knows...
            my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

The hash doesn't change because of renaming a file, only the content...
              That part was just included. It wasn't there before 4.12

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost_zero View Post
                Btw. Always extracting things first is no real option either. It isn't that much problem here because the file is relatively small but if you have e.g. 100MB-Setup-File... Not to mention that in most cases you then have to extract twice because the setup normally already has the files stored compressed.
                Create an ISO image with setup file and then, if you would like to install it, just mount and run from virtual drive.

Comment

There are some problems detected in NSIS setup engine if users use non ASCII characters. If we fix this problem then renaming MAY be allowed in future, but not now, sorry.

Comment

I also vote for changing this naming restriction. I am one of those people who are annoyed by this limitation. I have my own way of naming installers and i am sure a lot of people too as well.

Comment

While this isn't the thread I have been posting in, thank you anyway for explaining that. It does help to clear up the confusion surrounding this, previously inexplicable decision. I'm still not entirely clear on why it was previously limited to 63 characters, but I accept this as a valid reason and will drop it.

Comment

same issue only I didn't change anything

I have the same error coming when I try to install on my OS Vista. I did not change the name of anything but I am wondering if my computer changed the name automatically. What to try?

Comment

Working...
                        X