Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Splinter Cell CT on a PC w/o DVD drive

Hi everyone,
    This is my first real problem I've had with disc imaging in the last few years I've been doing it. I'll try to give a log of what I've tried here.
    My problem is that, since my main computer doesn't have a DVD drive of any sort, I have to make images to install DVD versions of games from another PC.
    I'm using the latest version of Alcohol 52% and D-Tools Lite v4.12. I bought Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (EU version) at a discount here (Australia) for $15 at EB Games while on a trip (I'd been planning to buy it for a long time) prepared for what I'd have to do from much forum reading. My DVD burner is a Pioneer DVR-112 (was quite a nice drive at the time I got it).
    Firstly, just to test, I made a normal (no DPM) image and didn't unplug the optical drive in that computer. I tested an install from the image, and tried to play the game. As usual, it wanted to reboot for StarForce. When done, it would ask for my key, scan my image, and say to insert the original disk. Placing in the original makes it start up fine (as long as I have WindowBlinds off ).
    I then tried this image on the DVD-less computer (with the CD Drive unplugged) and got 'The Disc Key you entered does not correspond to the disc in the drive.' It says this same message with the CD drive plugged in, too. From my searching, that seems to mean I didn't have a good-enough quality image, so I just tried to make another with the same settings, which got the same message. Another image later (removed StarForce drivers, High DPM @ 1x, but only a 5kb mds for some reason (Seems a tad small?)) and still the same message, but this time the computer with the DVD drive says the 'Okay key, wrong disc' message as well.
    Between this was many reinstalls, which actually enabled me to find something that temporarily works. If (on a frest reboot) I uninstall the game, don't reboot when prompted, and then install the game again, the game launcher doesn't prompt to install StarForce again (must be still there, but in a very weak state). After checking the image, it just launches like it does with the original DVD in. This happened on both PCs, so it must be a fairly common occurrence.
    Anyway, the reason I'm asking for help is that it takes quite a while to do those high DPM images, so I wanted to know if I just need to keep trying until it works (with as few apps running as possible, since I was doing a bit of browsing near the start), or if I'm missing something out or need to change anything.
    Thanks for any help in advanced, and for being able to use this great product problem-free for so long!

Ugh, I can't find the edit button (can't do it until I have 20 posts?), so I'll clarify a couple of things up here.

Firstly, I *did* have blank lines in that post, but when previewing it stripped them out. I thought it wouldn't affect it, though, so I just left it how it was (seems that it did, though).

Secondly, this wasn't very clear:

Between this was many reinstalls, which actually enabled me to find something that temporarily works. If (on a frest reboot) I uninstall the game, don't reboot when prompted, and then install the game again, the game launcher doesn't prompt to install StarForce again (must be still there, but in a very weak state). After checking the image, it just launches like it does with the original DVD in. This happened on both PCs, so it must be a fairly common occurrence.
    It *does* work very well as stated, but *only* on that one session (and I don't particularly want to keep my PC until I stop playing it, or reinstall it whenever I want to ). So I do very much want to make a working image.

Comment

Working...
    X