Editing an MSI to allow 64-bit installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing an MSI to allow 64-bit installation

Well I can't install Lost Planet: Extreme Condition under XP64. I found a workaround fix that requires the MSI file to be edited.

Well I did that, but now I need to add the edited MSI file back to the image/disk in order for it to work properly.

Since you can't edit a read only DVD game, I made an image of Lost Planet so I could edit the image file, add the edited MSI file back to the image and burn it to disc.

Only problem is I can't find a free image editor that can edit .mdf files allowing me to add or delete files to the image.

I can't be arsed to fork over money for MagicISO for such a simple task so a free alternative would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
    Xtemulation - Emulation News and Downloads
    Xtemulation Forums - Emulation Support

Can someone please move this to the correct forum? I accidentally posted here as a result of being half asleep still, sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Comment

UltraISO also can do it (i think also in trial mode).
      Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
      Peace Through Power

Comment

No, it wont save images above 700 megs, dont know exact size.
        You can also try to put the whole DVD on HD, replace the *.msi and try to install, in most cases it works for all PC-Games.
        You weak pathetic fool, it's all to easy
        sysProfile (Click me)

Comment

Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
          No, it wont save images above 700 megs, dont know exact size.
          You can also try to put the whole DVD on HD, replace the *.msi and try to install, in most cases it works for all PC-Games.
          Can you explain how to do that? I already tried extracting the image I made with 7-zip, replacing the MSI file and re-compressing it using store instead of deflate with an .mds extension instead of .zip.

However after doing this the file was unable to be mounted by Daemon Tools and claimed the image was corrupted.

Comment

Just copy the files from DVD to HD and replace the file. Then install directly from Hard Drive, without using DaemonTools.
            Upgrade your programs:
            DaemonTools --- SPTD --- YASU --- PID

Comment

Ok got it, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X