Create\Convert Virus Scan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create\Convert Virus Scan

I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for performing virus scans of media prior to actual creation or conversion...not sure if anti-virus makers have came up with a common way to let other applications know if a virus was detected or not...so this may not be possible to make it totally automated.

Ideally the anti-virus software would be directed to the drive the media is mounted in...to be scanned & if no virus detected continue with creation\conversion other wise fail with dialog warning of the infection(s) & where.

Again something that can be done out side of DTPA...but would be nice to have from an admin's point of view.

most companies I have worked for have a dedicated computer to scan CDs/DVDs on before they're allowed on a PC that is connected to the company network.

That's the safest way to handle discs from my admin's point of view

Comment

Re: Virus Scan DAEMON Tools feature

Well WinRAR, WinZip, Nero, and many of the big archive programs today support scanning for viruses.

For DAEMON Tools, am I correct in thinking this feature is only needed when real-time virus scanning is disabled on your PC? Or will you have an infected image file with no warning displayed until mounting and using it.
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Novecento -

Yes thats the safest way for hard media...but generally we are speaking of digital media...where at the time of its mastering anti-virus software may not have been able to detect the infection...typically if you scan the media 6 months after it was mastered you should be able to find any infection.

Underheaven -

Far as I'm aware only ISO can typically be scanned for infection...which means an infection could go unnoticed until the image is mounted or burned...and even then you would have to direct the anti-virus to scan the disc...as typically I think most profiles are limited to hard drives...and even if they do included CD drives...you'll have to leave the disc in there for a while...or some now trigger the infection to where it populates the system memory at which point the anti-virus should pick it off rather quickly.

Anyways figured it was worth a mention.

Comment

Any decent AV worth it's salt is going to scan any executable on "removable" media as it executes. And since the virtual drives appear as optical drives to the system, the images are considered removable media.

Unless, of course, you're running a free AV. In which case, that's the risk you take from running an AV that doesn't fully protect you just so you can get it for free.

Comment

Isn't that more or less what I just said?

It's my experince that nothing excutes during a conversion or copy thats in\on the media.

Further AV profiles typically don't actively scan optical drives virtual or other wise unless typically directed to.

Yes they do scan executions...but nothing on the discs are being executed during a copy\conversion.

I just figured it would be better to clean a disc of infections rather than to continue letting it survive to where it might catch you at a bad time.

Course I thought it would also be cool just to be able to mount and scan via the command line...so one could do batch checks of disc images...because then it would save on some scripting.

Anyways its clear its an unwanted feature...and I most certainly can script around it...so I won't discuss it further.
            Last edited by Nologic; 05.03.2008, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
            X