Compressing images eats all memory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressing images eats all memory.

Under Vista64 SP1 final and DT Pro Adv 4.12.0221, compressing images seems to take place entirely in RAM.

I have 4GB RAM and compressing a DVD image causes Vista to grind to a halt as soon as all RAM is used. It does complete eventually but swaps like crazy and of course all user activities are incredibly slow, even mouse movement stops for maybe a minute at a time.

Just me? Or is anyone else seeing this?

if that is the case, check task manager, see if the process is truly taking up 4gb ram... if it is, its a pretty serious bug.. also bear in mind, that depending on the compression used, the compression phaze can be cpu intensive..
    my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

That's just the thing, with all memory related columns enabled in task manager, nothing is showing as eating all the ram but all running processes shrink in memory footprint as parts of them are paged out to make space for this invisible memory hog. The only reason I know it's related to DT is because my cpu usage monitor (sidebar tool) and everest show available memory decreasing rapidly as the source image is read (or destination image is laid out in RAM?) during compression. The 'physical memory' display at the bottom of task manager increases to around 95% and stays at that level until image compression/conversion finishes. I do have 'show processes from all users' checked.

Try it
      Last edited by obvious; 17.03.2008, 23:20.

Comment

I dont mind programs taking up free memory if it'll help to speed them up (bigger dictionary size for compression etc) but paging out core windows elements/services is too much.

Comment

What processor are you running? What mainboard chipset (Intel, Nvidia, Ati, Via or SiS) and what model of chipset do you have? Are you running 4 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB, and is it DDR, DDR2 or DDR3?

Also, is this while converting an existing image to a compressed image, or while creating a new compressed image?

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
            What processor are you running? What mainboard chipset (Intel, Nvidia, Ati, Via or SiS) and what model of chipset do you have? Are you running 4 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB, and is it DDR, DDR2 or DDR3?
            Also, is this while converting an existing image to a compressed image, or while creating a new compressed image?
            Running Vista64 SP1 final and all updates on an Abit F-190HD motherboard (latest BIOS 18), E4300, 4x1GB Ballistix, ATI X1250. Windows is in IDE mode not AHCI.

With a large conversion >4GB, available memory shrinks to 100MB and windows crawls.

This is typically when converting an existing ISO to compressed MDS/MDF.

Comment

Working...
            X