Copy protection for upcoming game Mass Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy protection for upcoming game Mass Effect

It seems like SecuROM now uses a new protection scheme, meaning an internet connection will be required to continue playing your games.

SecuROM will check the game's CD key online every 5 days; if it can't connect or finds an illegal/banned CD key, the game will refuse to run after 10 days.

The game Mass Effect will be using this kind of protection. This is a single player game, but due to the protection it will need an internet connection to be able to play.

What's the point of this kind of protection? Pirates will be having fun using their cracked exe's (and can play offline as long as they want), while legit users need to be online for at least once every 5 days to be able to play their legally owned game. So actually this kind of outrageous protection only encourages piracy.

Also, just like Bioshock, it can only be activated 3 times. After that you will need to contact support to re-activate your game.

I don't like the system too, the only thing you can do is to not purchase this game to show the publisher we don't like those systems.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

this option is available in securomscheme for years now while I understand it to be integrated into an onlinegame here

the whole shit makes no sense at all however, I guess at least in europe they will have hard time to
      explain this tothe customers and will lost big sales. someone should also inform authorities so they dont
      forget to MARK their shitty protection "needs inet-connection even for singleplayer!!".such
      protectionschemes lead in my opinion only to suffering and alot of people will refuse to buy it - I really
      hope so!

regardless from which point you illuminate - guilty is the publisher who decided to use such bullshit to annoy us customers. Maybe we can start a poll here or do something against such behaviour and idiotism

0xyg3n

PS: no offense, I know DT pro is also protected via onlinecheck but at least it lasts 30 days and DT team clearly point that out on their web/salessite; and it is an application not some game I play and never use
      again after I made my way through

OT: is DT Pro capable also to backup old schemes like copylock?

Comment

yes, we point that out because its fair - and to avoid legal
        issues.

What concerns Mass Effect I can only say: If you dont like such protection then do NOT buy the game!

Comment

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums...9227&forum=125
          BurnOut
          -the Open Source protection scanner-

Comment

Working...
          X