SPTD.sys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPTD.sys

So, I installed Daemon tools like a year and a half ago and haven't really used it since. Had a crash last night, and now every time I boot it blue screens. Booting in safe mode gives me a problem at the SPTD.sys file (I've read the thread but I can't even start in safe mode). No matter how I boot, I still can't seem to stop it from blue screening and restarting.

I really don't care if it removes daemon tools in the process, I haven't used it once sinec I got it, I just need my computer to boot again. Any suggestions?

Re

Blue screen doesn't only mean a software or driver error. A year ago without maintenance might mean that ur Windows has crashed or worse an iminent hard disk failure. Formatting can solve your problem rather than Scandisk+Defrag.

Comment

What kind of blue screen is it? This is often specified in the very top of the blue screen, for example "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE", "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED", "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", etc. Does it mention a specific driver file?

Doesn't it say "Press ESC to skip loading sptd.sys" (or something very similar) when trying to boot into Safe Mode?
      Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
        What kind of blue screen is it? This is often specified in the very top of the blue screen, for example "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE", "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED", "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", etc. Does it mention a specific driver file?

Doesn't it say "Press ESC to skip loading sptd.sys" (or something very similar) when trying to boot into Safe Mode?
        Yeah, it does. And then it restarts anyway, after the blue screen. Unfortunately, the blue screen flashes so quickly before the restart that it's impossible to read.

Comment

Use recovery console to disable SPTD layer:
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

@linkyzor
            Just to clarify...
            In case you started your system in Safe mode and hit Esc when prompted to load sptd.sys, it means your system go to boot without loading sptd driver. And if you have BSOD anyway, it means you need to search another reason of this BSOD.
            To be strongly sure sptd.sys does not cause the problem, you can follow the way which was described by Copytrooper. Even you can rename/remove sptd.sys file.

But in any way, the problem can be caused by the new hardware drivers (if you updated some drivers just before), new software (especially some security soft), etc.
            Welcome to the dark side, my dear padavan. We have cookies

Comment

This problem might not have anything to do with Daemon Tools or SPTD.sys, like what happened to me. I have been wrongly blaming SPTD but it turned out that some malware disabled my safeboot key from the registry. So to make sure that your safeboot is still there, please use regedit and check the following:
              HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot

If the key is missing, you might have been attacked by malware, especially if you can't even enable "Show hidden files and folders" from Windows Explorer. To restore safeboot, please visit:
              Restoring Safeboot Didier Stevens

Bonne chance!

Comment

Working...
              X