change drive space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change drive space

is there a way to change the hard drive dt uses for virt space?

I think you are making wrong assumptions about the way DAEMON Tools operates. If you mount an image of say 4000 MB not much more than 3 MB will be used from RAM or swap or temp files. How much memory do you think DAEMON Tools is using on your system?

I don't recall all the numbers for RAM usage, 3 is a rough guess. Copytrooper perhaps can tell you more detailed specifics if 3 is not specific enough for you.
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Even a ramdrive uses hd space for swap and execution. i want dt to use a slave drive, not my c drive.

Comment

Originally Posted by craptop View Post
        Even a ramdrive uses hd space for swap and execution. i want dt to use a slave drive, not my c drive.
        I don't know of ANY files DAEMON Tools writes to the hardisk. Maybe someone can reply showing some file example that is opened for write access by DAEMON Tools or SPTD, this way we can show the developers exactly what must be able to be changed under some new user defined config option.
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Maybe craptop is talking about windows pagefile? If so, its location can be configured at Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual memory.

Comment

that's handled by the system configuration not the program itself.. so you would need to change your temp folder for example, and where you want the swap file.. such things are WAY out of daemon tools control....
            my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Originally Posted by evlncrn8 View Post
              that's handled by the system configuration not the program itself.. so you would need to change your temp folder for example, and where you want the swap file.. such things are WAY out of daemon tools control....
              this is what i assume to be true. but there should be a way to change that without changing the sys temp or pagefile. if there isnt an easy way to do it. i think it should be added. if there is a developer here, please respond.

Comment

@craptop
                To the best of my knowledge (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), DTools does not use any "paging" area save for the Windows page file. It reads the info directly from the disc image. The only storage space used is by the DTools program itself, and the only memory used is a very tiny amount by the virtual drives (as stated above), and the tray program if you have it running.

Comment

this is what i assume to be true. but there should be a way to change that without changing the sys temp or pagefile. if there isnt an easy way to do it. i think it should be added. if there is a developer here, please respond.
                  doing so would be a bad idea, then we'd see lots of people whining about memory usage etc.. if you want to change the location of your swap file do it the proper way... if you want to increase memory, remove redundant services...

asking for daemon tools to do this is (as said before) way out of the scope of what daemon tools does...

why do you think they should add it? when its available from the control panel -> system portion?

or did you perhaps mean daemon tools asking for a location to save temporary data (which i dont think it makes anyway) ?

daemon tools will use the swap file as/when needed (same as any other windows program does) - pagefile swapping / usage is governed by the system, is system wide (not process wide)
                  my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

DT is not using swap file at all and reads image from disc only. Overhead for every mounted image should be even below 1Mb.

Comment

Originally Posted by Development View Post
                      DT is not using swap file at all and reads image from disc only. Overhead for every mounted image should be even below 1Mb.
                      so it operates 100% in memory. why then would access speed of the c drive be diminished on a system with 4 gig of ram when the image is located on a slave drive? does DT operate in its own vdm? and can it use /4gig switch?

Comment

Working...
                      X