Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Effect: Legally sharing copies?

Hi,
    I while ago I bought Mass Effect for PC, and now I'd like to lend it to a friend, but be able to play it myself as well. So I have two questions:
    - If I make a backup using the "new Securom" choice in DTs, can I reinstall the game from this disc if I need too? Could I give the backup to my friend to install?
    - I understand you can register the game three times, so does this mean it's ok for my friend to register the game under the same cd key as mine, because that's only two activations?
    -ok, maybe I have three questions: Will I have any problems downloading future expansions if my friend also has his game activated? I know that Mass Effect checks the cd key each time you download new content.
    I just need to know this stuff before I go ahead and lend him my copy.
    Thanks to all who reply.

1: Yes, you can install from the backup (though images are best).

1a & 2: No, you cannot give the game to your friend. That's illegal. He/She has to go buy the game themselves. Only *YOU* are allowed to install the game those three activations. It's meant to help you in case you have to reformat or replace your computer, not so your buddies can play for free.

3: Refer to 2.

Comment

You're allowed to lend that game - but you have to deinstall the game on your PC.
      Elfen Lied - unangefochtene Spitze der Animes.
      Habt ihr was an der dt. Sprachdatei zu meckern?
      Schreibt mir eine PN!
      If you've got questions that do not concern to account or hardware incompabilty stuff, you can write me a PM. Otherwise use our forum!

Comment

This is from the Mass Effect Forum, so maybe you are allowed to lend this game. But I don't know for sure, at least it is not said that you are not allowed to...

Mass Effect Community - Copy protection/Activation

Quote: To how many friends am i allowed to borrow my legally purchased copy, before you ban me from playing it?
        I believe that the SecuROM settings are for up to 3 activations.

There is no banning or such if you go beyond the 3 activations, it just won't activate. If you run into any issues with this, you will be able to contact EA tech support and they will help you resolve any problems you have getting your game to run, including issues with SecuROM.

Comment

Working...
        X