No announcement yet.

3.33 / 3.44 Bug (Well Known Boot Hang)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.33 / 3.44 Bug (Well Known Boot Hang)

Operating System: WinXP w/SP1
    Burning Software: Nero
    Anti-virus Software: Norton
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.33 / 3.44

This problem has been documented, I just wanted to contribute my information and experience with it.

Windows XP w/SP1, I only have Adaptec CD Label Creator installed, none of the burning programs (expressly due to information based on DaemonTools readme). Nero is installed. My system is based on the Tyan 2466M-4N, with dual AMD 1800MPs and 512M of RAM. Running off an older ATI AIW 7500LE (PCI, I need to invest in a new AGP card, my current one won't drive 1600x1200x32bpi via the DVI interface) with a Dell 2001FP (yes, turn GREEEN with envy!). I do indeed have the AGP and IDE drivers from AMD installed. DirectX 9.0a (originally, just upgarded to DirectX 9.0b). Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum with latest drivers installed (to support the SMP requirements).

I have had 3.33 running for ages and decided to upgrade to 3.44. All was well after the upgrade, no issues detected. I was able to mount an ISO image and install the software from it.

After installing the software, I needed to upgrade from DirectX 9.0a to 9.0b. Once I rebooted the software, my system became unstable and unbootable. I uninstalled Daemon Tools 3.44 and all was well again.

After mucking around for a while, I re-installed 3.33, and the system is no better. It seems to boot up to the point where Windows XP wants to switch to the login in screen and then it hangs.

My temporary solution is to not auto-load the Daemon Tools software and only start it when I need to use it, it seems to work fine in this manner.

Based on my experience, I want to put a large portion of the blame on DirectX upgrade from 9.0a to 9.0b. That seemed to be the point at which everything blew up. I get no BSODs or any other decent information in the Event Viewer. The computer just plain freezes.

This is more of a report to describe my problems and what I think is involved. I know the developers are working on newer versions, so, I'll just wait and see what comes about....
Working...
X