Pretty sure Daemon Tools killed my Asus P6T Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty sure Daemon Tools killed my Asus P6T Deluxe

I think Daemon Tools killed my motherboard.

I was using a Core i7 CPU with an Asus P6T Deluxe. The system worked no problems for about 250-300 hours of use. My operating system was 64 bit Vista.

I tested all the hardware I used extensively after my system would not post at all. The RAM, CPU etc is okay but my motherboard is completely DOA, dead, dead. Won't even post.
    I tried many different kinds of RAM, video card, etc, it is definitely dead.

This is what happened: computer running fine for 300 hours. Went to install Daemon Tools (sorry, not sure what version it was, but I this was roughly 2 weeks ago.) During the installation, the installation got about half way completed, then my computer froze. I was able to move the mouse around the screen, but that was it. Resetted not thinking anything of it. My Asus P6T Deluxe has not worked since.

I know it is sounds very unlikely that Daemon Tools could have caused this to happen, but I really don't recommend any one with a Asus P6T Deluxe to use this program just in case.

Such software can't kill mainboards.

Also DOA means Defect on Arrival and that means when you got the mainboard, it was already defect.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

@snargs3
      Please, explain how did you discovered that your mainboard is dead.
      Welcome to the dark side, my dear padavan. We have cookies

Comment

This is the funniest thing I ever read and seen in my entire life. A software (expecially Daemon Tools) couldn't kill any motherboard (at least legit Daemon Tools software). But as you aren't a customer user I could suspect you've used the warez version of this wonderful software.

Anyway you can do what you want but writing on this forum "...I really don't recommend any one with a Asus P6T Deluxe to use this program just in case." it's a stupid phrase.

Maybe you should ask sorry for what you wrote and learn to better use your PC instead of throwing mud or taking out your own frustrations on a software like DT which has nothing to do what happened to you.

Comment

Maybe you should ask sorry for what you wrote and learn to better use your PC instead of throwing mud or taking out your own frustrations on a software like DT which has nothing to do what happened to you.
          WORD. He has a lot of nerve.
          So, mother goose has been messin' around in your egg salad, huh kid?

Comment

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
            Such software can't kill mainboards.

Also DOA means Defect on Arrival and that means when you got the mainboard, it was already defect.
            Are 100% sure? As I said in the post, I know it seems very unlikely, but can you say this for absolute certainity without having tested these yourself?

Daemon Tools isn't like a game or Ms Office or something. It does a fair amount of stuff. I never heard of this happening but I would never rule out anything 100% without being able to test anything.

Originally Posted by SUPPORT2 View Post
            @snargs3
            Please, explain how did you discovered that your mainboard is dead.
            I thought : "This is what happened: computer running fine for 300 hours. Went to install Daemon Tools (sorry, not sure what version it was, but I this was roughly 2 weeks ago.) During the installation, the installation got about half way completed, then my computer froze. I was able to move the mouse around the screen, but that was it. Resetted not thinking anything of it. My Asus P6T Deluxe has not worked since.
            " explained it but I'll try to add more.

I used my Asus P6T Deluxe for no problems for about a month or so.

I tried to install Daemon tools. As explained above.

After my computer crashed in the installation. I hit reset. The computer posted once, then crash immediatly, before accessing the hard drive. I reset the system. The computer posted, then crashed 5 seconds later. (I forget how far it got now.)

The mainboard has been dead ever since. I've tried many different pieces of hardware in it, and I'm certain it is the mainboard itself. I tried pulling the battery on it, and resetting the CMOS, etc, etc, but it is dead dead dead.

Originally Posted by Niko76 View Post
            This is the funniest thing I ever read and seen in my entire life. A software (expecially Daemon Tools) couldn't kill any motherboard (at least legit Daemon Tools software). But as you aren't a customer user I could suspect you've used the warez version of this wonderful software.

Anyway you can do what you want but writing on this forum "...I really don't recommend any one with a Asus P6T Deluxe to use this program just in case." it's a stupid phrase.

Why are you being such a jerk? I went to the bother of posting here to tell about my experiences and possibly warn people, so why are you treating me like an asshole?

Anyways. I used the free version of Daemon Tools download on this website, not a pirated version (not that would have anything to do with anything anyways.)

Better learn my PC? Again that is a real jerk thing to say. I've been using a PC since about age 6 and have two years of university level computer science under my belt and I work in the IT industry as well. I'm no noob. Obviously you know everything about everything though so maybe we should just all listen to you.

I know it seems ridiculous what I am saying, but I wanted to report it anyways , in case it is an actual issue and other people have been frying hardware. I thought that was the reasonable thing to do.

I've bought maybe 40 motherboards in my life, for my own systems, and computers built for others. I've never had a brand new motherboard run flawlessly for month and then die to the extent of not even posting in the manner that it did when I installed Daemon Tools.

I've used Dameon Tools on many computers and never had any problems. In my mind , from what happened, it is like it is at least in the realm of possiblity that Daemon tools caused my BIOS to get irrevocably scrambled or otherwise damage my mainboard.

Originally Posted by kukubau View Post
            WORD. He has a lot of nerve.
            Feel free to put the issue to rest by buying a Asus P6T Deluxe, and using the BIOS which was available about 4 weeks ago with the version of Daemon Tools that was avalable about 4 weeks ago and then tell us all that it worked fine.

Really I'd be happy to read that.

I don't see how you can take me relating my experiences as some sort of personal attack but whatever.
            Last edited by Blazkowicz; 21.02.2009, 12:04.

Comment

well, at ring 0, it is possible to read (and write) to the cmos memory area, along with the smbios area..

now, im not saying daemon tools does this (infact, i seriously doubt it does), but technically it is possible to fry a bios at ring 0 level, after all thats how bios flash updaters work, some work within windows (which extends the possibility), some work only in dos mode with a boot disk as im sure some of you know

however to do such a thing on purpose (or even accidentally) would require a hell of a lot of effort, as well as a reason to actually write to those areas

the bios scrambling as you call it was most likely caused by you pressing the reset button... during installation of new hardware, it might actually be windows scanning the bios / smbios tables and NOT daemon tools

the mother board also has ez-bios v2, where a secondary bios is used for a backup (this bios is protected from damage)... so, you should have been able to boot from this bios and fix things (did you try this?)...

the doa thing could quite possibly be, that when you pressed the reset button you somehow changed the clocking information on the processor in the bios, which would cause a failure to boot (try checking the jumper on the mainboard to clear the bios... which will probably bring the system back to life)...

but to recap, i think the problem here was caused by you pressing reset when windows was doing a scan (such things can cause unpredicable results), i really don't think daemon tools was at fault at all.. but i doubt the motherboard is actually dead.. rather, i suspect its settings are invalid for the processor, so it simply wont boot

I tried pulling the battery on it, and resetting the CMOS, etc, etc, but it is dead dead dead.
              tried puting a lower speed processor in?.. do you get any beeps when turning it on, any lights on the motherboard?
              my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Originally Posted by snargs3 View Post
                Why are you being such a jerk? I went to the bother of posting here to tell about my experiences and possibly warn people, so why are you treating me like an asshole?

Anyways. I used the free version of Daemon Tools download on this website, not a pirated version (not that would have anything to do with anything anyways.)

Better learn my PC? Again that is a real jerk thing to say. I've been using a PC since about age 6 and have two years of university level computer science under my belt and I work in the IT industry as well. I'm no noob. Obviously you know everything about everything though so maybe we should just all listen to you.
                Well, I will expain why I wrote such things to you.

1) A user like you with so few posts who writes his first thread screaming out for his dead motherboard (assuming it's dead) due to daemon tools usage or installation is absurd.

2) We're not racing for winning a cup for the one who's using pc for a long time or if you're more experienced than me or viceversa. I never told or wrote you're not a good user and about your university degrees, with all respect, that doesn't matter at all about your problem and about what I wrote.
                I'm an Astrophysics but it's not my bachelor degree which makes me feel better than others. I don't like to make such comparisons.

3) I think to know (like you of course, or at least I hope) how a software works, expecially DTPro and I can assure you this software has no routines at all which could write data onto an eeprom.

4) Asus motherboards, sometimes, are faulty and changing bios settings or do some "unespected" operations can bring motherboard to its death. So I wonder and I'm asking you "Why didn't you consider the chance your motherboard bricked itself for unknown reasons or due your own faults instead of pointing your finger to dt pro as unique cause ?"

5) I perfectly know P6T Deluxe, I assemble several PCs almost any day and I love that motherboard, never had any issues at all and it has a recovery area inside its bios so, even if you do a bad eeprom flash you can recovery it, like almost new AMIBIOS 16 Mbit eeproms. And, furthermore, DTPro has nothing to do with this.

So, my apologies for being so "hard" with you but you have to understand you can't come here in this forum, sign in a new account and open threads like this taking for an "absolute" dt pro is the cause when you haven't any proof about what you're saying while most of beta testers, developers and programmers, at the unison, tell you a similar software never can bring a motherboard to be dead.

I hope, at least, you'll understand this and try to better see your own situation.

Regards,
                Niko76. :wink:

Comment

To make things short: DT runs for months now on a P6T here and AMEN: DT didn't damage my board.

bye

tom

Comment

Working...
                  X