Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

daemon4303-lite.exe: Problems with Vista x64 and DVD Shrink..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daemon4303-lite.exe: Problems with Vista x64 and DVD Shrink..

Folks,

My computer:
    Vista 64-bit SP1
    Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4Mhz
    8G RAM

DT-lite installer: daemon4303-lite.exe
    When I install DT-lite, the virtual drive shows up in Windows Explorer as Device 0: [K:]. The only thing unusual is that the Icon refers to it as an [B]HD[/ B]DVD ROM drive, which I assume means it supports Blue Ray.

Here's a summary of my difficulties.

(1) Let's assume that I own a DVD movie, whose Volume Label is, say, THUNDER_AND_LIGHTENING. Lets' also assume that I have an ISO of this movie, created by the ever-reliable program ImgBurn. This ISO is about 8GB, so my goal is to shrink the main movie portion of it down to about 4.7 GB using the ever-reliable DVD Shrink ('Shrink).

(2) After mounting the ISO of THUNDER_AND_LIGHTENING on K:, I verify that Windows Explorer and DT-lite show the title correctly. I double-click on the F: Icon, which lauches WMP, which plays the movie without problems.

(2) Now I run DVD Shrink, which hangs and is unresponsive to mouse or keyboard input. Only 'Shrinks UI framework loads, and the only sign of life is that the columns in 'Shrink that ordinarily display size, duration, etc. of the constituent ISO files are rapidly oscillating and nothing appears. The Windows Process Manager shows that 'Shrink is consuming 30% of CPU power. I kill the 'Shrink' process and unload THUNDER_AND_LIGHTENING.ISO from the K: drive. Windows Explorer correctly reflects this change.

(3) I now run 'Shrink again. It immediately hangs the process and hogs CPU as described in (2). I kill the 'Shrink process.

(4) I (superstiously) reboot and again run 'Shrink--with the same results. My conclusion is that DT-lite is incompatible with 'Shrink at the OS level.

However,... I continue to characterize the problem.

(5) With the ISO now unmounted, I now load ImgBurn. Its 'Source' window identifies the drive with this Volume Label:
    [7:0:0] ADQHYV ANSPYFKLM ImgBurn reports in the status area: "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present - Tray Open."

(6) I now mount the ISO in DT-lite.

(7) DT-lite still reports the Source as [7:0:0] ADQHYV ANSPYFKLM. It reports that the file system as ISO9660, UDF (1.02). The UI symbol for "Ready" appears.

(8) I hope to create a duplicate of the mounted ISO. I set ImgBurn so that the duplicate is named T_L_DUP.ISO I attempt to set the Volume Label for the ISO to T_L_DUP; however, all the input fields are greyed out.

(9)I press the "Go" button on ImgBurn. The product is an exact copy of the mounted ISO (CRC32's match).

(10) I then mount T_L_DUP.ISO, which, of course, produces the same issues as the original.

(11) Because ImgBurn an DVD Shrink together are far too valuable to sacrifice, I uninstalled the DT-lite, using the uninstall.exe in the program group (there's no uninstaller in the control panel).

(12) After uninstalling 'Shrink still exhibited the same symptoms.

(13) After a system restart, 'Shrink still exhibited the same symptoms.

(14) Reverting to the pre-DT restore point corrected the problems in 'Shrink.

Error 14 with Daemon4303 lite install on Vista64

My situation is a little different. I was installing program, and it said to restart system, where it will continue installation. This continuation never happened, and now whenever I try to install program, and I get an Error 14 error.

Any ideas on how to "reset" the installation so I can try again?

Comment

@TigerDriver
      I don't have DT Lite installed, but I do have DT Pro (w/2 vIDE) and Alcohol (w/4 vSCSI) and DVD Shrink works fine here. The only thing I do not have is ImgBurn. You might try temporarily uninstalling ImgBurn.

Comment

Originally Posted by DNez2001 View Post
        My situation is a little different. I was installing program, and it said to restart system, where it will continue installation. This continuation never happened, and now whenever I try to install program, and I get an Error 14 error.

I recollect there being something similar during installation. IIRC (and I'm not certain here), after rebooting, a dialog box asked me if I wanted to proceed; I clicked it; based upon disk I/O, it did something--but the dialog box never went away. After waiting for several minutes without I/O, I clicked it a second time, after which it did something more and disappeared.

I was very pleased to see that System Restore worked as promised.

Joe

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
          @TigerDriver
          I don't have DT Lite installed, but I do have DT Pro (w/2 vIDE) and Alcohol (w/4 vSCSI) and DVD Shrink works fine here. The only thing I do not have is ImgBurn. You might try temporarily uninstalling ImgBurn.
          First I'd like to download and test one of the versions that explicitly supports 64-bit Vista. (Recall that "-lite" installed as an x86 app.) Are you running DT Pro on a 64-bit platform?

Joe

Comment

Originally Posted by TigerDriver View Post
            First I'd like to download and test one of the versions that explicitly supports 64-bit Vista.
            DAEMON Tools Lite works on x64 XP, x64 2003, and x64 Vista.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Underheaven View Post
              DAEMON Tools Lite works on x64 XP, x64 2003, and x64 Vista.
              Perhaps it's intended to do so, but in fact it installed on my Vista 64-bit system under Program files(x86).

????

Joe

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
              @TigerDriver
              In my report, I forgot to mention that I uninstalledl ImgBurn before doing a system restore. No joy.

Joe
              Last edited by Blazkowicz; 24.02.2009, 22:27.

Comment

Originally Posted by TigerDriver View Post
                Perhaps it's intended to do so, but in fact it installed on my Vista 64-bit system under Program files(x86).
                Only DT Pro drivers are x64, therefore it is correct to install on that path.
                Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                Peace Through Power

Comment

Reset Daeomon Tools Lite after Error 14

Anybody with any ideas on how to get the program installed? I use this a LOT to hold key game disc images, so that when I am on the road I don't have to install the game disc to start playing

Comment

Anybody with any ideas on how to get the program installed? I use this a LOT to hold key game disc images, so that when I am on the road I don't have to install the game disc to start playing
                    Figure out which software blocks correct installation, usually some antivirus or similar software monitoring registry access, disable that software during installation.
                    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
                    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Working...
                    X