Internal Setup Error (error code 256)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Setup Error (error code 256)

This one has been around since at least December 2008 with no explanation let alone a solution so here it is again.

I had a working Vista Home Premium (32 Bit) with a working Daemon Tools pro standard.

Then for no explicable reason Daemon Tools stopped working and I was getting error messages at windows startup.

I haven't installed any new software, My AV was in place when Daemon Tools worked. The AV is up to date as are my windows updates.

I uninstalled Daemon Tools and tried to re-install but get this Internal Setup Error: (error code 256). Contact support.

Surely there is someone who has an idea as to what is causing this, after all, it is the people that write the code that stick in this error message, so they should know what errors cause this particular error handler to kick in.

I now have paid for software that I cannot use.

Is SPTD correctly installed (check with standalone sptd installer from www.duplexsecure.com)?
    And on which exact Setup point do you get that msg?

Just asked devs:

Error 256 means that one of DT installer's plugins was not loaded.
    Also, check your security software settings, some software can prevent DLLs from loading.
    Another user reporting:
    Hi,Thanks for your help. The Bitdefender was blocking Dll's of daemon tools. When I disabled realtime protection daemon tools succesfully installed. Thanks.
    Windows Defender is also a security software.
    Last edited by Blazkowicz; 11.04.2009, 18:21.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Working...
    X