Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to mount an ISO and tell DT which type of disc to emulate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to mount an ISO and tell DT which type of disc to emulate?

I know all about the cut off points for when DT will mount an ISO as either a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or BD-R but I was just wondering if it's possible (hopefully via the old style v1.x MDS) to mount an image of any size and have DT emulate my chosen media.

i.e. a 4GB ISO and have it emulate a BD-R or an 800MB ISO and have it emulate a DVD-ROM.

I've always had the option of creating a DVD MDS file (where the media type is always DVD) within my program but I'd like to extend it to include support for creating a BD MDS file too.

Without this capability I find myself having to tell people to use Virtual CloneDrive instead because that stuff can be manipulated using the nice and simple 'MediaType' field in the .DVD file.

Thanks in advance,

LIGHTNING UK!

Hmm.... I understand your request, but canґt figure out any scenario for what it might be important as what the image is beeing detected.

Canґt be for copyprotection themes, i think, they have other ways to detect if they are emulated.

Comment

It's not for copy protection at all, just that certain (video) content sometimes needs to look as if it's on a certain type of disc.

For instance, software players like PowerDVD etc won't load home made BD / AVCHD content from a drive that reports the current media as DVD-ROM. It'll play it just fine from DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/BD-R/BD-RE media though.

So if I (or anyone else) wants to test a freshly built <= DVD-9 sized AVCHD / BD image, they cannot do so using DT.

I don't need anything complicated, just a way to make it treat my <= DVD-9 sized ISO image exactly how it would treat one that was > DVD-9 size.

i.e. report it as BD-R rather than DVD-ROM.

Comment

I'm finding the same problem as home authored blu-rays are mounted as Data CD's without an MDS file to tell DT it is a DVD.

I've read somewhere that you can rip a BD-ROM and mount that without many problems but creating your own blu-ray ISO failes because all authoring software I can find creates the ISO as a Data CD.

Imgburn creates an MDS file for you and does have a menu item to create an DVD MDS file from ISO, but I agree it would be better to be able to create a BD-R MDS.

Comment

I've done some some further investigation and Virtual Clone Drive mounts my home authored ISOs as a Blu-ray without any extra metadata files (.MDS or .DVD) and PowerDVD can play them back, presented to the system as a Blu-ray.

If I mount the same ISO with DT then PowerDVD says it's an unsupported format, presented to the system as a Data CD.

Unless Virtual Clone Drive is doing some extra detection of the files within the ISO, like Imgburn does then I think DT is mounting them as a Data CD instead of Blu-ray, is this a bug?

I might have made the mistake of thinking that the ISOs where created as Data CDs but this looks like they are created correctly as Blu-rays ISOs?? I might be wrong again as I'm just trying to understand the behaviour.

Lightning UK! can you confirm what you are doing when creating a Blu-ray ISO in Imgburn, as in what media type?

Comment

I've done a bit more testing and now understand what LIGHTNING UK! was talking about! It looks like DT determines the Media Type of the image based on the size of the image. instead of the content of the image.

Data CD <= 800MB
            DVD > 800MB & <= 9GB
            Blu-ray > 9GB

I've not tested the exact boundaries or DVD range yet but I added a large file (14GBs) in the root with the 70MB movie files where previously the same files would mount as a Data CD now mount as a Blu-ray and PowerDVD plays it ok.

All my home authored Blu-ray movie ISOs I have created play back in PowerDVD when I use Virtual CloneDrive WITHOUT the additional .dvd file.

Comment

I have the same problem with my 8GB BD, so the solution is to use Virtual CloneDrive ?

Comment

Working...
              X