Unable to uninstall system devices from previous installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to uninstall system devices from previous installation

I had an older Daemon Tools Lite version installed (around v4.01 or so). So I wanted to update it to v4.30. I uninstalled and installed the new version.
    Now, I can't get rid of the previous (virtual) system devices that were added with the previous version. I was using 4 virtual devices, so in my Device Manager, there are 4 entries under "DVD/CD-ROM drives". If I uninstall them, they reappear on reboot. I also have the one entry in 'SCSI and RAID controllers". If I uninstall that (which also removes the 4 virtual drives), that also reappears on reboot.

I've tried installing and uninstalling the program, but it doesn't ever remove these entries. The problem is that it creates 4 useless drives in my computer. i want them gone, and I want to use those drive letters for the new, updated installtion of daemon. Instead, I have to use 4 other letters, so there are 8 total virtual drives installed when I install the new, functional version. How can I completely remove the previous virtual drives?

Thanks.

Uninstall DTools, then use the latest SPTD installer to uninstalll SPTD from your system. After rebooting, reinstall the latest version of DTools.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
      Uninstall DTools, then use the latest SPTD installer to uninstalll SPTD from your system. After rebooting, reinstall the latest version of DTools.
      I followed these directions, but after reinstalling the latest Dtools, the other devices reappear again. here is what happens:

--I uninstall current Dtools. No problem.
      --I uninstall SPTD. Reboot. I check to see if the extra devices are gone. They are. Everything is fine.
      --I reinstall latest Dtools. Reboot.
      --Continues installation...for some reason, the installer detects a previous version of Dtools. It asks me if I want to uninstall or update. I say update.
      --Now, all the extra devices are back. They reappeared after the Dtools installation finished.

I found some threads about removing SPTD from the registry. it involved tweaking permissions and removing some keys labeled "legacy". I wasn't able to do this since I was restricted from some permissions. So the keys remain.

Comment

You have to set Owner first (also to sub keys) and then after that change you can do the permissions.
        Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
        Peace Through Power

Comment

Working...
        X