Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

win7 - Duplice drive assignment corrupted partition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win7 - Duplice drive assignment corrupted partition?

I ran daemon tools under windows 7rc and mounted a ISO. I didn't notice that it assigned the virtual disk to the same drive letter as a real disk. I installed the program that was on the virtual disk. Next time I rebooted I noticed that partition that originally had the same drive letter is now corrupted!!

The drive in question has two NTFS partitions, both 350GB, the first one is ok, but the second one, which had the same drive letter as the virtual disk, is now corrupt.

Using disktest, the partition still comes up with the right size and is NTFS partition, but there is no MFT, so windows thinks its corrupt and reports the partition as 'raw' data.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I might fix this?

I ran spinrite and it found nothing. I am currently doing a full scan using disktest to try and find the MFT somewhere over the entire partition.

Then it seems you found a bug in Win 7 as drive letter assignment is done via windows.
    BTW which build of Win 7 are you running?
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

More likely, what happened was that your partition became corrupted somehow, and since it no longer was taking the drive letter assigned to it, the letter was then assigned to the virtual drive of DTools.

Comment

Working...
      X