• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting DVD images created with Linux 'dd' cmd

Operating System: WindowsXP
    Burning Software: Nero Express
    Anti-virus Software: N/A
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.44

I posted this to another topic and then realized it should probably go here:

I recently attempted to put some of my DVD's on my hard drive using Linux and the command:

# dd if=/dev/dvd of=myimage.img

While I can mount 'myimage.img' under Linux as a device and play the DVD just fine (menu's and all);
    I have not been able to figure out a way to do this under Windows with the same image file. Daemon Tools v3.44 will mount the DVD image and everything 'looks ok' as in the files are there and the correct size, however various media players won't play the mounted DVD. DVD Decrypter alerted me to the problem as it shows the DVD as region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 'no' copy protection instead of what it should be (region 1, CSS/CPPM).

Can anyone explain why Daemon Tools won't mount this image correctly? I'm fairly ignorant about the DVD format. Again, the file does seem to be a valid representation of the DVD as I can play it in Linux with the commands:
    # mount -o loop myimage.img /mnt/dvd
    # mplayer -dvd-device /mnt/dvd dvd://<track>

Thanks,

Tim

I determined what the problem was here. The Linux dd command will duplicate the DVD, CSS encryption and all. While the linux players I use (mplayer and xine) will brute-force the encryption, the windows players will not. I'm still a little confused why the region gets whacked and why programs see the mounted DVD as having no encryption when it does. Other than possibly a problem there, I don't think DTools is doing anything wrong.

Tim

Comment

Region of media is stored not in image itself - you cannot create correct CSS image in Linux. It must be a special MDS file, that will be 1:1 copy of CSS original.

Comment

Working...
      X