Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing SPTD necessary?

**warning for inexperienced user**

Installed DT just the other day, so my version should be current. DT worked fine, but it seems I'm passing this pc on sooner than expected, and I need to uninstall. I used DT uninstall successfully...I thought. Now ImgBurn is giving me the warning : "SPTD can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.", and I've found my way here, where I read that the SPTD isn't removed during installation. As I never received the warning prior to this, is it safe to assume that removing it shouldn't impact any other systems?

As I'm sure the admins are aware, this link is dead: http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f26/how...tools-v4-6992/

But I did find two sets of instructions on deleting SPTD. Both are from admins, but one has extra steps. Both seem a little intimidating to someone with only a fair amount of experience mucking about in in the registry (though I was able to track down and uninstall Nero once

The instruction sets I found are :

To remove SPTD you should do the next:
    - Open Register Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SPTD and change Start value to 4.
    - Now do a reboot, navigate to this key again and change permissions on this node (key) - right click on the node, permissions and set Full Access to Everyone.
    - Delete this key, do a reboot and install DAEMON Tools again.

and

If your system has some problems with SPTD installation you can do as follows:
    If your OS is already running then go to step 2 directly.
    If you cannot boot your PC at all then start from step 1.

1. Boot in safe mode and press ESC key when you see on bottom line of display:
    "Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys". This will abort loading of SPTD layer.

2. Open registry editor (run regedit) and browse to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd
    Change the value "Start" (DWORD) to 4 (i.e. disabled).
    [To re-enable SPTD service change the "Start" value back to 0.]

3. Reboot again in normal mode and check if your issue is solved.

Are either of these procedures the answer I'm looking for? I'm new enough that, while I did locate the key, and "Start"(DWORD), I don't know *how* to change the value to 4.

(and - if you have time...just what *is* the impact to the system? is this a warning for a really big nothing?)

Thanks for taking the time to read this far. Your help will be much appreciated.

Link working fine.

Easy way to uninstall SPTD is to download SPTD installer form DuplexSecure.

Above is only expert way.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Simple Job! Just Follow this!

1.Create a new Text Document (.txt) File.
      2.Rename it as "SPTD.reg".
      3. Right-Click the file and select "Edit"
      It will open in notepad or wordpad.
      4. Copy and Paste the following below in the "SPTD.reg" and save and Double-Click it to run and click yes when asked to and restart your computer and your SPTD Service is disabled.(Copy as is)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd]
      "Start"=dword:00000004

Comment

Working...
      X