My computer keeps rebooting - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer keeps rebooting - need help

The other day I was happily using my laptop computer when for some reason the Daemon Tools icon in the task bar was bugging me so I right clicked to exit - minutes later the machine rebooted - and then again and again without stopping.

So, I researched online (this forum too) and tried this first:
    Booted into safe mode by pressing the ESC key when "Press Esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys" appeared. Then changed the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd value to 4.

Rebooted in normal mode and everything worked perfectly for hours until my CAD program froze and I yanked out the battery and unplugged the machine.

Now I had the rebooting problem all over again but was unable to press ESC and go into safe mode this time because it wasn't giving me the option.

Next I tried using the XP disk to go into recovery mode where I typed in at the prompt "disable sptd" and received the message "already disabled" (or something similar).

Still no luck rebooting and I couldn't read the error on the blue screen cuz it went off too fast. So, I tried pressing F8 when restarting and chose "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

Now I get the message:
    Technical Information:
    *** STOP:0X000000E3(0X80558BE0,0X00000000,0X00000002)

OK, I give up. How do I make this nightmare end?
    (preferably without losing anything)

Which exact Windows XP do you have (Home or Pro and SP)?

Also you may insert your Windows XP CD and during Install select Repair.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by eas188 View Post
      The other day I was happily using my laptop computer when for some reason the Daemon Tools icon in the task bar was bugging me so I right clicked to exit - minutes later the machine rebooted - and then again and again without stopping.

So, I researched online (this forum too) and tried this first:
      Booted into safe mode by pressing the ESC key when "Press Esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys" appeared. Then changed the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd value to 4.

Rebooted in normal mode and everything worked perfectly for hours until my CAD program froze and I yanked out the battery and unplugged the machine.

Now I had the rebooting problem all over again but was unable to press ESC and go into safe mode this time because it wasn't giving me the option.

Next I tried using the XP disk to go into recovery mode where I typed in at the prompt "disable sptd" and received the message "already disabled" (or something similar).

Still no luck rebooting and I couldn't read the error on the blue screen cuz it went off too fast. So, I tried pressing F8 when restarting and chose "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

Now I get the message:
      Technical Information:
      *** STOP:0X000000E3(0X80558BE0,0X00000000,0X00000002)

OK, I give up. How do I make this nightmare end?
      (preferably without losing anything)

If you didn't have place the XP disc to you ROM and then restart it again and try to repair! If it can't be done try using different boot disc..

Comment

Working...
      X