Getting DT To Work in Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting DT To Work in Windows 7

I just installed the latest release of Windows 7 Pro (not a beta). I have downloaded both the latest DT lite and DT pro versions of DT from the Daemon Tools web site. The DT lite will not install as Windows 7 claims it is not compatible with Win32. I can't figure that message out since I downloaded the version from DT that is supposed to work with Win32.

I had slightly better luck with DT pro. It will at least install and activate. I can open a saved image file with DT pro but I cannot create a virtual disk. I am not getting any error messages so I can't tell what is wrong. The only thing I know is that a virtual disk is never created.

Does anyone have good instructions for installing DT on Windows 7 (final)?

Originally Posted by sonavor View Post
    I just installed the latest release of Windows 7 Pro (not a beta). I have downloaded both the latest DT lite and DT pro versions of DT from the Daemon Tools web site. The DT lite will not install as Windows 7 claims it is not compatible with Win32. I can't figure that message out since I downloaded the version from DT that is supposed to work with Win32.
    Setup file wasn't downloaded completely. Try to re-download it.

Originally Posted by sonavor View Post
    I had slightly better luck with DT pro. It will at least install and activate. I can open a saved image file with DT pro but I cannot create a virtual disk. I am not getting any error messages so I can't tell what is wrong. The only thing I know is that a virtual disk is never created.
    Why do you think that a virtual disc is never created? Can you see it on Virtual Devices panel in DT Pro?

Comment

Originally Posted by Sway View Post
      Setup file wasn't downloaded completely. Try to re-download it.
      I tried two more download attempts and finally got the lite version to install. The lite version uses v1.58 of SPDT. After a restart of Windows 7 I was able to install daemon4304-lite. Unfortunately it wouldn't actually launch because Windows 7 claimed there were compatability issues.

Why do you think that a virtual disc is never created? Can you see it on Virtual Devices panel in DT Pro?
      I re-installed DAEMONToolsPro4350306 over daemon4304-lite. The DT pro install updated SPDT to 1.60. Again, the DT pro version launches and I can browse to a saved "iso" file. The DT Pro will not give me any options to mount the "iso". When I use the create virtual device option I do get a Virtual Devices tab but there are no devices to select. When I do a right-click and choose "Add SCSI Virtual Drive" - I get a popup showing that DT is attempting to add a virtual device but the system just hangs there indefinitely.

Comment

DTLite works great after clicking 'Run'.

Comment

DTLite works great after clicking 'Run'.
          No offense but that doesn't help much. I realize from other posts that there are some people that have DTLite working. In my scenario I was not.

I did finally get Daemon Tools working on Windows 7 by installing the Daemon Tools Pro Advanced install from the Daemon Tools downloads page.

Here are the steps in my scenario:
          1. Fresh install of Windows 7 Pro
          2. Install of DTLite (initially I had problems with a corrupt DTLite download).
          3. I noticed that DTLite installed with SPDT v1.58. When I tried to run DTLite Windows 7 would now run it saying it was not compatible.
          4. I downloaded and installed the latest DT Pro installation. I installed DT Pro as an upgrade to the previous DTLite install.
          5. DT Pro would run.
          6. DT Pro would not create a virtual drive for me. It would recognize and load an "iso" file but DT Pro would not give me an option to "mount" the "iso" in a virtual drive. The create virtual drive button would not do anything and sometimes would just hang the program.
          7. I downloaded and installed the latest DT Pro Advanced installation. I installed DT Pro Adv as an upgrade to the previous DT Pro installation.
          8. DT Pro Advanced works for me. I can mount and run "iso" files.

The Daemon Tools technical support told me I could now change the version from DT Pro Advanced to DT Pro if I didn't need the additional features of the advanced version.

Comment

DAEMON Tools Professional Help: Unable to add adapter

Comment

Windows 7 problem

Hi I am unable to use DT with W7 as well. after installation and reboot I get a message that says its minimum requirements is Windows 2000 and SPTD1,60 or higher and Kernelt-debugger has to be deactivated. any tips on how I can get it to work?

I am using:

windows 7 home premium and DT lite

Comment

Specify your DT Lite version.

Comment

Originally Posted by egbert View Post
                  Hi I am unable to use DT with W7 as well. after installation and reboot I get a message that says its minimum requirements is Windows 2000 and SPTD1,60 or higher and Kernelt-debugger has to be deactivated. any tips on how I can get it to work?

I am using:

windows 7 home premium and DT lite
                  Yes.

For DT Tools Pro I got it to work on Windows 7 Pro by installing the DT Tools Pro Advanced installation from the DTools site (DAEMONToolsPro4350306adv). When you install it you can specify if you actually want the advanced or standard version.

The DTLite did not originally work for me but I just saw today that a new version was posted. To be fair, the previous DTLite only said it worked with Windows 7 Beta. The new version posted today says it works with Windows 7. I confirmed that by downloading and installing DTLite (DTLite4355-0068). It removed my DT Pro installation and installed without any problems. After the necessary reboot the new DTLite worked. I noticed that the SPDT version in this new DTLite is v1.62. The previous DTLite came with SPDT v1.58.

Comment

Does DAEMON Tools Lite 4.35.5 work well?

Comment

Does DAEMON Tools Lite 4.35.5 work well?
                      Yes. That is the version I downloaded and tried today. I didn't have any problems with it at all.

Comment

Great!!!

Comment

Same

Same error. Downloaded DT Lite(for maybe the twelve time) half an hour ago and get the ''need win2k and sptd 1.60'' error. This version was supposed to get full W7 support.
                          I'm not gonna survive long without DT.

Comment

Disable ALL security software, remove SPTD/DT completely and then try to install them.

Comment

Originally Posted by gamenomad View Post
                              Same error. Downloaded DT Lite(for maybe the twelve time) half an hour ago and get the ''need win2k and sptd 1.60'' error. This version was supposed to get full W7 support.
                              I'm not gonna survive long without DT.
                              Make sure you are downloading and installing -
                              DAEMON Tools Lite v4.35.5 (with SPTD 1.62)

...and like user Sway suggested, make sure you uninstall any previous DT and any separate installations of SPTD that you may have tried.

I finally got DT Lite to work today on Windows 7 Pro with the new DAEMON Tools Lite v4.35.5 (with SPTD 1.62) version.

Prior to that I was able to get DT Pro installed and working on Windows 7 Pro but only using the Daemon tools Pro Advanced installation (version 4.35.0306). That installation gives you the option of using DT Pro standard or advanced.

If the DTLite install still doesn't work for you then you might try installing the Pro version first, then installing DTLite after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X