PDA

View Full Version : DT 4.3.55 & Windows 7 - Can't Add Virtual Drive

CaryInIdaho
03.12.2009, 00:11
I have tried to install the latest version of DaemonTools on to a new Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system. I had nothing but problems trying to get SPTD to install properly. After numerous Google's, I found enough information about the problem that I was able to install SPTD by itself. After rebooting, I attempted to install DT again. Installation appears to have completed succesfully, however, I still cannot get a virtual device to be added.

When I click to add a new virtual drive, I see a AXXXXX IDE Controller showing up in Device Manager after clicking OK to SCSI adapter has to be enabled dialog. I then see DT saying it is "Adding Virtual Device". I then get "Unable to add adapter" error message followed by "Unable to unmount image" error message. Once I have clicked OK, the IDE Controller disappears from Device Manager.

What the heck is going on? I have used Daemon Tools for years and never had these types of issues. Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance! Cheers...

Cary

Blazkowicz
03.12.2009, 01:01
You already tried that DAEMON Tools Professional Help: Unable to add adapter (http://daemonpro-help.com/?id=548) ?

CaryInIdaho
03.12.2009, 02:05
You already tried that DAEMON Tools Professional Help: Unable to add adapter (http://daemonpro-help.com/?id=548) ?

Yes. That is what sent me down the road of figuring out SPTD. After reviewing some posts on the SPDT authors site, I was finally able to get SPDT x64 v1.62 installed correctly. Or, at least it acted like it was installed correctly. I then performed an installation of DT and it also acted like SPDT was installed fine.

As for the ACPI setting in BIOS, I have an HP Z400 workstation and I don't see a specific setting to 'enable' ACPI. I do see options for ACPI S3 Hard Disk Reset and ACPI S3 PS2 Mouse Wake Up. Is this what you are referring to? If so, it didn't work either.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for the reply!!!

Cheers...

Cary

Blazkowicz
03.12.2009, 02:09
Nope, that isn't the option.

Please use contact form (www.disc-soft.com/sendmsg), describe your problem there and a link to this thread, thank you.

If the support guys helped you successfully, please post the solution here - other uses may have the same problem.

CaryInIdaho
03.12.2009, 18:44
Nope, that isn't the option.

Please use contact form (http://www.disc-soft.com/sendmsg), describe your problem there and a link to this thread, thank you.

If the support guys helped you successfully, please post the solution here - other uses may have the same problem.

Will do!

Thanks! Cheers...

CaryInIdaho
15.12.2009, 20:08
Response is a little slow, so I decided to try DT Pro and see if there was any difference. Well, there is! I get a different error message. ARGH! I now get "Unable to add adapter. Device Problem 12".

Now, being the way I am, I did a query on DT's help site and it doesn't find anything having to do with the above error. Any thoughts???

Frustration is setting in!

Cheers...

Blazkowicz
15.12.2009, 21:13
What is it saying in Device Manager -> Computer?

CaryInIdaho
16.12.2009, 04:09
What is it saying in Device Manager -> Computer?

ACPI x64-based PC

Sway
16.12.2009, 05:18
Are you sure you completely removed SPTD node in Registry Editor during uninstallation?

CaryInIdaho
16.12.2009, 16:43
Are you sure you completely removed SPTD node in Registry Editor during uninstallation?

Due to problems with installation of SPTD during DT"s install, I have installed SPTD separately. It was the only way I could get it to "stick". So, when I perform an install or uninstall, only DT is being add or removed.

Cheers...

bcc.w317
18.12.2009, 15:56
I seem to be having the same problem on Windows 7 x64, and Windows XP x64, using HP Z600 & Z800 PCs.. So I wonder if it's a BIOS thing on the HP's Z-series...?

jc762
21.12.2009, 11:33
Hi,

I have the same problem with a HP Z400... I have try to install DT on 7 Pro image on VirtualBox and It works perfectly...
I suspect the HP Z400 BIOS too...

mawashi
21.12.2009, 12:41
Hi,

I have the same problem with a HP Z400... I have try to install DT on 7 Pro image on VirtualBox and It works perfectly...
I suspect the HP Z400 BIOS too...

Exactly the same problem with the same commputer for me !!

bcc.w317
12.01.2010, 21:22
Any updates on this problem??

nickoz5
14.01.2010, 02:16
I'm having the same problems with latest DT on a HP Z600 with win7 x64, reporting a "unable to add adapter". A solution for this would be MUCH appreciated!

jekyll
21.01.2010, 16:25
I'm having the same problems with latest DT on a HP Z600 with win7 x64, reporting a "unable to add adapter". A solution for this would be MUCH appreciated!

I also have a HP Z600 running a fresh install of Win7 x64 with only a couple apps installed. I've been through the recommended troubleshooting tips. The SPTD install goes fine. SPTD is detected/recognized when restarting the installer. The DTLite install goes fine. It isn't until DTLite is launched, or started upon reboot that the "unable to add adapter" error occurs. If I go to Virtual Devices, Add SCSI Virtual Device, a popup says "SCSI adapter has to be enabled to add virtual device. Do you want to continue?". I choose "OK". There is an "Adding virtual device" message in the background. An "Unable to add adapter." message appears. I click "OK to dismiss. A few seconds later, a second "Unable to add adapter." message occurs. I click "OK" to dismiss. Then the "Adding virtual device" message in the background disappears. Still doesn't work. Please let us know if you need any additional information to help us resolve this problem.

butch3r
25.01.2010, 07:45
i got the same problem on my fts m470 workstation =>
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f24/fehler-12-adapterinstallation-fehlgesch-win7-x64-x58chipset-26023/

my hardware platform is a fujitsu d2778 mainboard with Intel Xeon-Prozessor X5560 and X58 Express, Intel 82801JR*ICH10R

I tried also all regestry steps, uninstallation / reinstallation of dt, sptd and also various os types.

nickoz5
04.02.2010, 02:55
seriously, is this issue being completely ignored?
can we please get some info; is a fix being investigated? its obviously related to the hardware on the HP Z-series workstations and similiar PCs, is it that hard to isolate?

Terramex
04.02.2010, 12:08
Looking at the HP Support & Drivers section there are several tools for the Z workstations:
HP Performance Tuning Framework, HP System Software Manager, HP Client Management Interface,
LSI Logic MegaRAID Storage Manager & Intel Matrix Storage Manager Utility.

Maybe it's worth a try to temporarily deactivate (or even uninstall) those tools to check whether there's a conflict with one of them.

@nickoz5
Have you already used the contact form as suggested in Post #4 ?
Did you also contact the HP support ? "Perhaps" the problem is more on their side.
At least it's easier for them to have a look at the issue than for the DT support team to acquire a HP workstation ;)

nickoz5
05.02.2010, 06:20
Looking at the HP Support & Drivers section there are several tools for the Z workstations:
HP Performance Tuning Framework, HP System Software Manager, HP Client Management Interface,
LSI Logic MegaRAID Storage Manager & Intel Matrix Storage Manager Utility.

Maybe it's worth a try to temporarily deactivate (or even uninstall) those tools to check whether there's a conflict with one of them.

@nickoz5
Have you already used the contact form as suggested in Post #4 ?
Did you also contact the HP support ? "Perhaps" the problem is more one their side.
At least it's easier for them to have a look at the issue than for the DT support team to acquire a HP workstation ;)

Thank you for the suggestions...

Firstly, I have a completely clean install of Windows 7 on my machine. No drivers/tools were installed from the HP support site at all.
I will try contacting HP support to see if they have any ideas on this too. If I can get any help from them I will post it here.

Also, I noticed while looking at the device manager while loading daemon tools (while its adding the virtual device) that the IDE controller it adds ('A0DCN44N IDE Controller') has a code 12 error: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). The 'unable to add adapter. insufficient privileges' message box then appears, and the device is removed. Does this give any clues? I'm guessing it coule be an IRQ, I/O or DMA conflict issue causing the adapter not to load?

Terramex
05.02.2010, 11:22
Firstly, I have a completely clean install of Windows 7 on my machine. No drivers/tools were installed from the HP support site at all.
As the only non-HP specific tool: what about Intel Matrix Storage Driver/Manager ?

nickoz5
07.02.2010, 22:06
As the only non-HP specific tool: what about Intel Matrix Storage Driver/Manager ?

Nope, didnt install that either since I'm not running a RAID configuration at the moment (just using two 136GB SAS 15K HDDs separately).

ummjay
08.02.2010, 20:28
I have a brand new HP 600, with no HP utilities or managers installed, and getting the same message above. I've been using daemon tools for years on many different machines. I can't figure this one out. I've tried uninstalling, etc.

i see you are all having problems. I hope this is being looking into.

tsaber
12.02.2010, 03:15
I am having the same problem with my Lenovo Thinkpad, running windows 7 64 bit.

nickoz5
13.02.2010, 08:12
Reply from support;

Now, we have several reports from our users who uses HP Z-series about the same problem, so this problem became known issue.
We forwarded all information to our devs. They are investigating the problem.
We will contact you as soon as we find the solution.
Sorry for any inconveniences.

SUPPORT2
01.03.2010, 16:01
Hi
please, look here
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f26/hewlett-packard-z-series-systems-z-400-z-600-etc-daemon-tools-problem-26228/
So, we just need to wait for the new SPTD version.

hatboy
02.03.2010, 02:28

same here on my T410 64 bit and I can't seem to figure it out. I installed alcohol 120% and see if I can create a virtual drive, it also run into the same problem: unable to add adapter, ACPI function must not be disabled. This SUCK!

Sway
02.03.2010, 05:23
DAEMON Tools Professional Help: Registry and SPTD problems (http://daemonpro-help.com/?id=932)

hatboy
02.03.2010, 07:41
DAEMON Tools Professional Help: Registry and SPTD problems (http://daemonpro-help.com/?id=932)

already went through that and nothing work.

Sway
02.03.2010, 09:17
Did you try to disable/uninstall your security software? What exactly do you use?

hatboy
02.03.2010, 20:07
Did you try to disable/uninstall your security software? What exactly do you use?

I didn't install any software when I installed DT Lite (I installed it right after I did a clean install of windows 7). Between I use NOD32 antivirus and Outpost firewall.

A few months ago when I had a T400 running windows 7 32 bit I was able to install DT Lite with both NOD32 antivirus and Outpost firewall running at the time. I just have a feeling it has to do with windows 7 64 bit and acpi function being disable.

eaglewatch
26.03.2010, 08:20

Same here! My thinkpad is T410 with 32-bits winxp, and DT or Alcohol 120% returns 'ACPI must not be turned off in the BIOS', but there is no such option in the BIOS.

jdub
31.03.2010, 05:53
I think I'm having the same issues as everyone else though in device manager i also get a "not enough resources" error when the device is trying to be added, does it say that for you guys too?

i have a thinkpad t510, i updated the bios to the most recent version available by Lenovo but that didnt help.

JamesR404
31.08.2010, 10:05

I have the EXACT same problem also with a Lenovo Thinkpad!

32 bit Windows 7.

Zizzler
06.09.2010, 13:11
I have the EXACT same problem also!
Is anyone adressing this issue at all??

Lenovo Thinkpad W510, 64 bit Windows 7.
All brand spanking new!

Zizzler
06.09.2010, 13:48
I just sorted it on my Thinkpad Lenovo W510 (W7 64 bit), by installing (updating) the SPTD from 1.62 to the new one 1.72!
There is an 32 bit version and a 64 bit version.

rebooted and volá! Finally!

Zizzler
06.09.2010, 13:50
update the SPTD to the newest:

DuplexSecure - Downloads (http://duplexsecure.com/en/downloads)

SUPPORT2
06.09.2010, 14:05
Hi all
Seems the problem is very similar to the problem which was reproduced on HP Z-series systems
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f26/hewlett-packard-z-series-z-400-z-600-etc-daemon-tools-problem-resolved-26228/

You need to use latest SPTD driver v.1.72 from DuplexSecure (http://duplexsecure.com)