PDA

View Full Version : Virtial CD-ROM device not being recognized as CD-ROM device

Extreme Unction
22.02.2010, 12:54
I have mounted a .cue file (and the accompanying .bin) with Daemon Tools. The CD contents show up on the virtual drive.

However, when I try to run the install program which exists on the virtual drive, it gives me an error, saying that the program must be installed from a CD-ROM. So apparently the install program is not being fooled by Daemon Tools.

Any suggestions?

Sway
22.02.2010, 13:19
What exactly do you try to install?
How did you get this image?

Extreme Unction
22.02.2010, 14:22
What exactly do you try to install?

The game Descent 1.

How did you get this image?

Copied it with CDRWIN.

I have a vatload of old games that take up a huge CD carrying case. It occurred to me that, with the advent of multi-GB thumb drives, I could reduce my clutter (or, at least, the size of individual pieces of clutter) by ripping the CDs to thumb drives.

Before I did that, I wanted to test it. So I ripped Descent 1 to my hard drive, then mounted the resulting .cue file with Daemon Tools, then tried to install the game from the virtual drive.

And got the error described above.

Copytrooper
22.02.2010, 15:39
Tried the lowest available drive letter to the virtual drive yet?

Extreme Unction
22.02.2010, 16:17
Tried the lowest available drive letter to the virtual drive yet?

If I am understanding the question correctly, the virtual drive has already been assigned the lowest available drive letter. My hard drive is C:. My physical CD-ROM is D:. The virtual drive created by Daemon Tools is E:.

Blazkowicz
22.02.2010, 17:57
Change your real drive to z: and then try with virtual one.

Extreme Unction
22.02.2010, 19:20
Change your real drive to z: and then try with virtual one.

That did it. Thanks.