• Show
Clear All

• Install via Group Policies

Operating System: Windows 2000 Network
    Burning Software: none
    Anti-virus Software: McAfee
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

Hi guys,

Great tool, the daemon tools. I love to use it. But... I have this tiny problem with the tool.

On the school of the kids, I would love to install Daemon-tools on all the computers using the Microsoft Group policies, but that requires a special preparation of the .msi file.

I already figured out that after installation via the .exe you will have an .msi file in the <system>\downloaded installations folder, but this .msi seems to be missing some information (like daemon.exe). I also already figures out that you use some kind of dll to do version check and other installation stuff. But at the end of the day, I do not succeed in producing a .msi file that can be used to install daemon tools via group policies.

Is there a version available that does support this installation, of would it be possible for you to send me the separate parts (like .dll and .gifs) that are included in your installation but not installed to the harddrive?

With many thanks from all the kids in school,

Jafo

Where is the illial usage in the above message?

Hi again,

Thying to post the message above, I was informed that there might be illigal usage in the message.
    According to your statement, using daemon-tools is schools is like private usage. The usage in the school would be fully legal.

Also the software to be run via daemon tools would be fully legal since all licences are officially purchaged school licences. Therefor, I am sorry bu I do not see where the content of the message above would be illegal.

Just wanted you all to know

Jafo

Comment

The post was flagged because it contained the word "downloaded". We do this to stop people from posting about illegal downloads/warez. In your case, it has nothing to do with downloads, so just ignore it.

As for you original question, the msi does contain all files needed to install daemon tools. I'm not sure what must be done to make it compatible with group policies. If you want a silent/unattended install, this is possible via msiexec.exe and special switches.

Comment

Thank you for the rapid reply, Andareed.

Iґm sorry for using the forbidden word, but as you can see I meant no harm with it.

After the re-evaluation of the .msi file, I have to admit that I was confused when I mentioned that program parts were missing. You are right when you mention the msiexec with options for the silent install.

For the installation via group policies however something more is required.
        Next to the exising installation sequence you also need and advertisement sequence and an administration sequence.

Unfortunattely they are both failing.

I could offcourse try and reconstruct these sequences myself, and with your permission I will, but I might need some assistance from you.

With regards,

Jafo

Comment

Setup was designed for installation on local machine only and advertisement not supported.
          Also any user policies have no sense as it installs system global drivers.
          Please give more details what you need it for?

Comment

Dear VeNoM,

The general idea for the use of Microsoft Group Policies for software installation is to install a single product onto a number of PC's unattended. When the machine is swiched on, the machine looks into at the machine policies and will recognise new advertised software to be installed, and will install this by itself. INHO, this is a very neat trick of Windows 2000 Server.

The idea for the school is to have all software installed via this mechanism to reduce the TCO and to control the usage of PC's based from a single server.

Offcourse DT will be installed locally, as that would be the general idea to use DT. But instead off walking pass all those PC's it would be so much more easy if the remote installation feature of Microsoft would be supported.

With regards,

Jafo

Comment

Working...
            X