• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious bug - mounting image in image

Operating System: Win2K + SP4
    Burning Software: Nero 6
    Anti-virus Software: Symantec
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

I found a serious Daemon-Tools bug yesterday.

First I mounted a dvd image that I had on disk, as the second Daemon-Tools drive.

Then, as the first drive, I mounted a cd image that was located inside the dvd image, ie on the drive already mounted.
    Then I rebooted.

After reboot, my system started acting real strange. Had problems running software, could not open the event viewer or Add/Remove programs. Could not open My Computer (it just hanged when trying to scan the drives in my system).
    In Safe mode I couldn't uninstall Daemon-Tools because the Windows Installer service couldn't start. But eventually after messing around a bit, I solved the problem by removing the d346prt.sys file. Then my computer acted normal again and I successfully uninstalled Daemon-Tools.

If Daemon-Tools can not mount an image located inside another image, you should at least warn the user if he tries to do something like that.

Except for this problem, I've been using Daemon-Tools for a couple of years now and I'm very pleased with the software.

Best regards,
    Nebol.

Operating System: XP Pro
    Burning Software: Nero 6
    Anti-virus Software: NOD
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

hehe odd, i never thought of idea to mount image inside another image!
    On first day god created universe...on last day humans will destroy it!

Comment

I found something simliar before. If you mount an image to G:, f.e., then mount G:\image2.iso (i.e., image within image) to G:, windows will go crazy.

Comment

Crazy indeed!
        I suggest a warning message "Sorry you can't mount an image inside another image!" when trying to do that.

Comment

Guess it's beacuse windows can't keep apart wich image is wich, since both use same driver, in other words windows like HUB, can only send at one direction at time, not both same time or it will crash with each other, same here, like try use same IRQ for 2 cards..... 2 images can't use same channel!

anyway u get point lol , i can go on and on forever... :mrgreen:
          On first day god created universe...on last day humans will destroy it!

Comment

Basically I think its a nice feature to mount images from one drive to another.
            I wonder wether there would be the same problem when one deletes a normal image during reboot?

In the described situation I would expect to have the first drive left unmounted (file doesn't exist) but the second drive mounted.

Mounting an image from an image to the same drive should be impossible.
            During that mounting the unmounting should appear first followed by a file doesn't exist error.
            Otherwise you may get into trouble for nested mounts (image.iso in image.nrg in image.bwt ...).

The most strange working solution could be:
            mount an image to G
            mount G:\image1.iso to H
            mount H:\image2.iso to I
            mount I:\image3.iso to J

Here's a question:
            What happens to the other drives if someone unmounts drive G?

Comment

Driver will automatically unmount image if its file is not accessable.

Comment

Working...
              X