Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD-R images cannot be mounted to the virtual drives

My system configuration:
    DT standard Pro (latest version, still Trial), Win7-64, i7-720, the DVD-ROM drives driver is up to date

Hello,

1) I am creating mdx-images from DVD-R (Verbatim) and DVD+R (Sony). All these DVD's are recorded on the same Panasonic DVD-recorder in the exactly same way/recording-mode and contain not-protected video material.
    I ALWAYS get the message, that the image was successfully created.

2) I try to mount the created images to the virtual drives:

=> mounting the DVD+R images to the virtual drive and burning them to DVD is ALWAYS successful

=> mounting the DVD-R images to the virtual drive and burning them to DVD is NEVER successful and I always receive the message that the image file is damaged

Is this fact, that DT cannot create/mount .mdx-images from a DVD+R, a DT-bug, a DT-problem or a .mdx-format problem?

I am disapointed about this problem, because DT is such a great tool. Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Cheers
    Robert

Please specify contents of that discs.

Comment

Also, which Panasonic modell do you have ?
      Are all your recordings finalized/closed ?
      I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

- the DVD-Recorder is a Panasonic DMR-EH52EG
        - all DVD's are finalized
        - all DVD's contain movies from TV or from self-recorded VHS
        - all DVD's are therefor free of copy-protection or the like
        - the recording-mode is always Longplay (=4h on single-layer DVD)
        - all these DVD's can be used in other DVD-players

=> the only difference between all these DVD's is, that some are DVD+R and the others are DVD-R and that the explained problem occurs with the DVD-R's. By the way, the problem occurs independently of whether the created images are compressed or not.

Cheers
        Robert

Comment

I've just made some images of Video DVDs (also Verbatim DVD-R) of mine in MDX format.
          I have no problem when mounting them so it seems to be no general issue.

When making the Disc image: which Profile did you choose ?
          Do you have AnyDVD or DVD Fab Passkey running in the background ?
          Have you already tried in MDS or simple ISO format ?
          Would you please test whether DVD Shrink 3.2 is capable of opening the disc ?
          If yes, you could as a (temporary) workaround backup the DVD to an ISO as well (under the Target Device tab choose ISO Image File).

P.S.:
          as the forum provides more of an additional/secondary support please also contact the official support team with reference to this thread.
          I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Hello Terramex,

thanks for your interest. I am very astonished that it works on your system, because on mine there is no single exception from this "rule" that DVD+R are working fine and DVD-R are not working at all. By the way, I have not yet encountered any problems with Audio or Data CD´s.

so:
            - I am using DT as it is (after installation) and I didn´t change any settings
            - I have nothing else running on the system (or in the background) that deals with DVD or CD-services
            - .mds doesn´t work either, it is the same as .mdx
            - ISO is not possible for CD´s and DVD´s (multisession...)

I am looking forward to get this problem fixed, because it seems to not be a principal problem.

Cheers
            Robert

Comment

Ok, for multisession discs ISO can be eliminated as an alternative

What do Windows Explorer & Media Player "see" on your Multisession DVD-R ?

Comment

Hello Terramex,

thanks for your reply, maybe the things turn clearer now:

- the Windows Media Player and also Power DVD work fine with the DVD-R´s also.

- BUT, there is a difference in the contents between the -R/+R which can be seen with the explorer (why didn´t I have a look with the explorer before???):

* the DVD+R´s contain 2 directories: VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS

* the DVD-R´s contain only VIDEO_TS

Is this due to the DVD-R format or is this a special Panasonic feature? Can this be the reason for the problem? Do your DVD-R contain both directories?

Cheers
                Robert

Comment

Originally Posted by beteigeuze View Post
                  Is this due to the DVD-R format or is this a special Panasonic feature? Can this be the reason for the problem? Do your DVD-R contain both directories?
                  Sorry that i haven't made this clear before: i only used simple data DVDs - nothing from a standalone DVD Recorder.
                  And i can't tell whether the difference you've noticed is typical for the output of your recorder.
                  I've mostly avoided Multisession DVDs as they're known to be in some way problematic, but nevertheless here some
                  final thoughts from a multi-laymen

Though +R and -R where both created with default settings (with +R working), please try to create an
                  image of a -R using the DVD-Video Profile in the drop-down box - Creating an image | DAEMON Pro Help

Beforehand you can also check whether DT Pro can see all sessions:
                  At the bottom of the DT Pro window you can switch between virtual and physical devices.
                  Please rightclick the drive with a DVD-R inserted -> Device Info -> Media

P.S.:
                  if you like to you can still test to create an ISO with DVD Shrink; it won't create a (not possible) 1:1 ISO image of
                  your multisession disc but will reauthor its content to a new ISO - without reencoding/quality loss
                  Last edited by Terramex; 11.08.2010, 20:17.

Comment

Hi again,

I just tested your suggestions, but, unfortunately, I was not successful.

- DT Pro sees the real content of the DVD-R, all the contained sessions.

- Then I created .mdx-images with the "DVD-Video"-profile from this DVD-R and I got the message, that the image was successfully created, as usual. Unfortunately, it again was not possible to mount this image and I again got the message, that the image is damaged. I repeated this twice, but got no change in the result.

So, it seems to really be a problem of DT or the .mdx-format, don´t you think so?

I am astonished, that nobody else has reported this problem earlier.

Cheers
                    Robert

Comment

Hi again,

I just tried out the usage of DVD shrink:

- creating an .iso-image of my DVD-R´s works perfectly (despite the fact, that DT says that these are multisession discs)

- mounting these .iso´s to the virtual drive of DT works perfectly

- burning these .iso´s to a DVD also works perfectly

- the burned DVD´s can be used in my Panasonic DVD-recorder as well as in an older DVD-player and everything works perfectly

DVD shrink was an excellent tip, thanks a lot, I´m quiet happy with this solution. But, I think the DT support team should know about this and I will inform them.

Again, thanks a lot for your interest and help, Terramex!

Comment

You're welcome
                        Originally Posted by beteigeuze View Post
                        creating an .iso-image of my DVD-R´s works perfectly (despite the fact, that DT says that these are multisession discs)
                        DVD Shrink doesn't care about disc types (that's why it's not really practical for DVD9 output) and sessions.
                        It solely handles the video content.
                        So it doesn't create an 1:1 image of your disc but a copy of its video content (unless you're shrinking or re-authoring).
                        The default output of DVD Shrink is a VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folder structure, and when choosing ISO Image File as Target device internally it also uses the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS structure and creates a new ISO of that on the fly.
                        Last edited by Terramex; 13.08.2010, 11:03.

Comment

Working...
                        X