Quake 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 2

I created an image of Quake 2 as an MDX file and it was created successfully. I used the Data Disc profile. Quake 2 has one data track and the other ten are audio. I tried opening the image in the image editor just to check it out, but nothing shows up. The image size is 629MB and I can mount the image but the problem is, it doesn't open up the "setup.exe".

With or without the image it runs a DirectX test which always fails in one area (Direct3D). But that doesn't matter because it's an OpenGL game anyway. The way around this is by executing the games "setup.exe". But with the image I can't specify which file to open when mounting, so I can't install the game.

Same answer as in the other thread: you can't change autorun behaviour.

Originally Posted by Zeolites View Post
    Quake 2 has one data track and the other ten are audio.
    Would you please check whether the CD has one or multiple sessions ?
    At the bottom of the DT Pro window you can switch between virtual and physical devices.
    Rightclick the drive with your Quake 2 CD inserted -> Device Info -> Media
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Stupid me-all fixed now, I disabled autorun temporarily by holding down shift when mounting the image. I then browsed the virtual drive letter like any other drive and opened the "setup.exe".

Thanks for your help Terramex.

Comment

The only problem with Q2 is that I don't hear the in-game music. I read in other posts that this is a problem. I have to re-read them again as I browsed through them quickly.

I have the game patched to v3.20

Comment

From what i've read the Quake II CD needs to be in the optical drive with the lowest letter.

Maybe you want to have a look at the KMQuake II project which lets you hear the music from HDD.

Also in this context: Ultimate Quake II Patch by MenaceInc - Steam Users' Forums

P.S.: have you checked your Private Messages ?
          I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Thanks for the links. I have two optical drives, a DVD-RW and CD-Rom, but I disabled the CD-Rom drive in Device Manager because I don't use it.

I mounted that mini image you uploaded for me. It opens the files in Windows Explorer.

Five of my images recognize their virtual drives as an optical drive and run without the CD/DVD. The other three don't for some reason. The games will play if I use a No-CD executable/patch or the original disc.

Comment

I left out the image.

Comment

Thanks for the links. I have two optical drives, a DVD-RW and CD-Rom, but I disabled the CD-Rom drive in Device Manager because I don't use it.
                Just for the record: you hear ingame music using the original CD and your image has the same sessions as your original ?

I mounted that mini image you uploaded for me. It opens the files in Windows Explorer.
                Ok, but does it launch Undying using a shortcut ?

The games will play if I use a No-CD executable/patch or the original disc.
                Though you haven't expressly violated our Board Rule #1, please desist from talking about NoCD cracks in the future.
                No offense, but we don't condone this subject in any context.

P.S.: would you please use links like in your first post or the ImageShack Forum-Miniatur format - full size images aren't very handy
                Last edited by Terramex; 21.09.2010, 12:50.

Comment

1. Yes it an exact copy of the original CD. But if I insert the original disc the music will play.

2. I'm not sure, I didn't try launching Undying when I mounted the mini image. I'll try it when I'm not busy.

3. I own all the original discs for the games I own. I'm using DT so I don't need to use those things. But it's not working for all of them unfortunately. I own a lot of games and every time I want to play a different game I need to change the CD accordingly. This is bad for the CDs and I try to protect them the best I can with proper storage.

4. Sorry I should have cropped or re-sized them first. I'll just post the link to the direct image like you said. What's that saying?, "pictures say a thousand words"...

Comment

When creating an image would changing the read speed of the drive make a difference?. I've been using 16x but my drives top read-speed is 40x. (HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B)

Doesn't setting it lower, lessen the chance of errors?.

Quake 2 doesn't require the CD to play, so I'm not sure if the game recognizes the virtual drive as the drive it was installed from. I'm guessing it doesn't and that's why I'm not hearing the music.
                    Last edited by Zeolites; 22.09.2010, 13:45.

Comment

Read speed is only interesting if you read DPM, but normally the less the speed is the better.
                      Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
                      Peace Through Power

Comment

Few drives have problems reading the weak sectors of Safedisc 2/3/4 at full speed - mostly speed isn't the culprit but you can give it a try.

Personally i would try the following regarding the problematic Safedisc titles:
                        Activate your real drive(s) in Device Manager, then open Computer Management/Disk Management and change its/their Drive Letter(s) to the highest letter possible.
                        Uninstall and reinstall the problematic titles from the virtual drive with the lowest letter after the HDDs.

EDIT: i forgot one thing; please also test with only one image mounted at the same time
                        Last edited by Blazkowicz; 22.09.2010, 20:42.

Comment

Why have my last three or four posts been removed?. Did you guys fall back on an archive?. I know that last night this site, the main DT site, and Disc-Soft was down.

Comment

The computer I'm using DTPro Standard on is a Compaq Presario, it has a card reader for SmartMedia/xD, MMC/SD, CompacFlash I/II, Memory Stick/PRO and USB 2.0.

CD-Rom - re-enabled and changed letter to (T then disabled again. The drives cable keeps becoming loose so I keep it disabled. I should just remove it from the case.
                            DVD-R/RW (D changed to (U
                            Removable Drive (F changed to (V
                            Removable Drive (G changed to (W
                            Removable Drive (H changed to (X
                            Removable Drive (I changed to (Y
                            Removable Drive (J changed to (Z
                            For the above I used Disk Management in Administrative Tools to change the drive letters.

Currently, games using virtual drives are in this order.
                            (E Shogo
                            (F Undying (won't work unless I use the mini image you provided.)
                            (G
                            (H Quake 2 (No-CD music)
                            (K Half-Life
                            (L Timeshock!
                            (I Need for Speed High Stakes
                            (Q System Shock 2

Comment

Why have my last three or four posts been removed?. Did you guys fall back on an archive?
                              So it seems. I'm also missing some other posts.

(H Quake 2 (No-CD music)
                              Have you also tried in the first virtual drive in the meantime ?
                              (F Undying (won't work unless I use the mini image you provided.)
                              Have you tried to create a new Undying image ?
                              Last edited by Terramex; 03.10.2010, 12:19.

Comment

Working...
                              X