Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Imaging Failed

Hi,

I am a complete beginner at this stuff so please forgive me if I have posted incorrectly (I have read lots of please read stickies etc but nothing I have seen relates to this).

Basically I am trying to create a disc image of a Tages protected game (Darkstar One) and I installed the latest trial version of daemon tools pro to see if it could make the image. I have Alcohol otherwise already and only wanted to buy into DT if the Tages thing worked as Alcohol doesn't support it.

So it spends an age running at 4x to do the DPM analysis and the moment it completes, the log says "disc imaging failed".

Is there any other logging that might tell me why it failed?

Is there anything I could try to make it work?

I have tried on two different computers thinking maybe the dvd drive is the problem but the same thing happened on both

Thanks in advance
    Dan

You actually used Tages profile?
    Please post complete log.
    Also try to check to ignore read errors.
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Yep, I used the tages profile. Unfortunately I have since closed the window and cannot see any way of retrieving the log through the menu system - is it stored locally anywhere?

If not, I can run it again to get the log output but it will be towards end of day tomorrow before I can post the results. I will also check to see if the ignore read errors option helps. Thanks so far

Comment

sorry i couldn't find a way of grabbing the log other than screenshotting it so i have attached an rtf file to this thread. i also did the wizard for reference.

by "ignore errors check", did you mean the ignore bad blocks check?

i tried with and without this on and also, with and without the dpm high precision on. i tried to make mds/mdf images and i think i tried the mdx option once, although i am not completely sure of that one as i have tried quite a few differernt combinations now!

the result is always the same - spends ages doing dpm analysis then presumably finishes it and starts the write image task and fails immediately
        Attached Files

Comment

If DPM is taking so much time to extract in Tages profile, then there is no Tages on that disk.
          Peace Through Power

Comment

i ran the protectionid utility which told me it was tages, but i guess it could have been wrong

what do you recommend to do in this case then?

Comment

Then it is mostly a false positive by Protection ID (which version btw?). Try ProtectCD 5 profile.
              Or game has Tages activation.
              Last edited by Blazkowicz; 19.10.2010, 17:14.
              Peace Through Power

Comment

i just tried protectcd 5 and that failed at the start of dpm

what is tages activation? is it something that cannot be copied?

Comment

Originally Posted by dan001 View Post
                  Unfortunately I have since closed the window and cannot see any way of retrieving the log through the menu system - is it stored locally anywhere?
                  there used to be a log file saved in the root of the folder before, but for some crazy reason it was removed. i made a post abut it a the time. go figure.

sorry i couldn't find a way of grabbing the log other than screenshotting it so i have attached an rtf file to this thread.
                  ironically, i also noticed this too. not too long ago (maybe last version or the one before) if you right clicked on the log screen, you had a COPY TO CLIPBOARD option. again, for some "reason" this was also removed.

as for the topic at hand, i have that game, it is tages disc check and dt can make working image using tages profile no problem. mentioning this so you know it's possible so whatever the issue is, it must be on your end.

Comment

ß, different regions can have different protections. EU version of that game has ProtectCD.
                    Peace Through Power

Comment

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
                      ß, different regions can have different protections. EU version of that game has ProtectCD.
                      really????

if you read my comment, it does not imply region ignorance. i'm basically saying that i acknowledge that the tages disc of that game exists and that it's possible to create a working image using dt/tages profile.

Comment

So it spends an age running at 4x to do the DPM analysis and the moment it completes, the log says "disc imaging failed".
                        Please also try different DPM speed settings.
                        If DPM isn't finished after let's say 3 minutes you can abort.

I have tried on two different computers thinking maybe the dvd drive is the problem but the same thing happened on both
                        Have you also tried with desktop drives or only notebook drives ?
                        I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

definitely making some progress now

i am eu (live in the uk) so am trying protectcd 5 now.

i tried again with protectcd 5 on another laptop drive and the imaging process completed successfully! however, when i tried to run the game with it mounted on the virtual drive, the game still asked for the original disc

i am now trying again on the same laptop with a slower dpm speed. if that gets the same result i will try the drives on my desktop. sounds like this game should be image-able so fingers crossed!

Comment

The error message indicates it's Tages and afaik UK & US versions are protected by Tages.
                            Only german version has ProtectDISC, Russian has Starforce (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

If you could please post an image of the error message then we could with safety tell the protection.

If you don't get it to work (for whatever reason):
                            Darkstar One was later released as part of "The Patricians and Merchants Box" - without copy protection.
                            If you ask nicely the Kalypso Media support maybe supplies you the official unprotected v1.3 executable.
                            I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

i took a screenshot of the error and added it to the uploaded pdf, hth!

haven't tried the other drives yet, am planning to do that when kids are gone to bed ;-) i will also email kalypso as that sounds like a good plan also!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X