Confusion about Daemon tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion about Daemon tools

I have windows 7 home ed & just installed Daemon tools lite. I have an iso movie file that i would like to copy to a dvd for viewing but the dvd is too small to hold it. I thought that if I copy the iso to a virtual drive, with no capacity limitation, I can use dvd shrink to compress it. Can this be done? Is this the way to do it? I have been playing with dt for hours trying to figure it out but I'm getting nowhere.
    Any help appreciated

Ron

Originally Posted by ronk1 View Post
    I thought that if I copy the iso to a virtual drive...
    Usually the term 'mount' is used in this case.
    Mounting an Image File | daemon-help.com
    So mount your ISO and then open the virtual drive in DVD Shrink.
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Note that you won't be able to save results of shrinking to the virtual drive. Use your HDD for this.

Comment

Confusion contd

I have been correctly mounting the file.
        Upon more sleuthing I found that the problem might lie with dvd shrink. Shrink correctly recognizes the virtual drive, (F & my dvd drive (D. When I select the virtual drive, F:, which contains a 6.48Gb ISO file, it displays it as a choice but when I select it & click "OK" I get the error msg shown here:

If I cannot use dvd shrink I don't know how to proceed from here except to purchase dbdfab, which I'm reluctant to do because I think they are charging much too much money. Are there any other compression programs out there that are as good as shrink? The best solution would be to find out why dvdshink is not functioning. It works fine with files loaded into the disk drive, just not with the virtual ones.

ronk
        Attached Files

Comment

confusion contd

Now that I see the attachment & how small it appears I wish I had made it larger. However, if u click on it it is readable.

I forgot to thank SWAY for his comment about copying to the HDD. I knew that but I appreciate the advice.

Comment

DVD Shrink is pretty strict about a correct DVD structure.
            Which program have you used to create your ISO and remove the protection of The Sands of time ?
            I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Re: confusion

I used AnyDVD to decrypt & create the image file on the HD which I then mounted in the virtual drive. However, I know that when I use shrink on a dvd in the physical drive the disk does not contain an image but multiple VOB files etc. I have been under the impression that it made no difference to dvd shrink. There doesn't seem to be a way in Daemon tools to mount the file the same way it appears on a disk, as multiple vob files etc. BTW: I use dvd decrypter to make an image file from the virtual drive onto the HD just to check if it would work & it went fine. I guess the same applies to dvd shrink.

Comment

Originally Posted by ronk1 View Post
                I use dvd decrypter to make an image file from the virtual drive onto the HD just to check if it would work & it went fine. I guess the same applies to dvd shrink.
                DVD Decrypter doesn't care about a non-standard/defective structure, whereas DVD Shrink does very strictly.

Mount your ISO and try to remove the remaining scructural problems with either RipIt4Me+DVD Decrypter
                or DVDFab Passkey+ImgBurn

Or try to make a completely new Rip of your DVD with DVDFab HD Decrypter or DVDFab Passkey+ImgBurn.

P.S.: DVD Rebuilder is another free DVD9->DVD5 app
                Last edited by Terramex; 02.12.2010, 13:00.

Comment

Sorry for taking such a long time; it took me a while to try your suggestions. I mounted the dvd & used ripit4me & it worked. I also discovered that when I mount an iso file in the virtual drive it appears as a movie file with the vob files etc not as movie.iso. Just part of my learning process. Copying my digital home video movies is another important use of this prog for me. Last year I converted them to iso files to have some kind of organized storage; some of the files were 8 or 9 Gb, too large to copy to dvds. I only realized this recently, so DT comes in very handy for that too.
                  Thanks for your help

Comment

You're welcome

Just a closing remark in case you're about to delete your original ISOs; please doublecheck the RipIt4Me output to ensure it holds all original movie content.

Comment

Working...
                    X