Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting BSOD during games install from image.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting BSOD during games install from image.

blaz, i never sent those crash reports regarding the blazblue crashes as we discussed. sorry, i was very busy at the time and also changed system for a while. nevermind that right now, if need be i can reinstall that game too later. but like i said using the older dt pro under xp worked fine.

right now i tried to install aliens vs predator from the disc images. the game uses no disc based copy protection as it's a steam-only title. i already installed from these very images back when the game was released, it's not the images.

so now, whilst trying to install the game it causes a BSOD (just like i told you about blazblue). it starts copying the files and then after a while BSOD. every time.

o/s is win7 64-bit. dt is v4.40 sptd v1.75

(i just noticed there's a new version so am installing/rebooting now, and will try again) i'll update this post as needed.

i'm attaching the last two crashes.
    Attached Files

nice one. the new version does not BSOD. problem seems fixed. i'd ask what the specific issue was but like before, i know it won't be answered. you have great technical support, but abhorrent customer support, at least relating to me. i know many "stupid" or noob questions get answered fast, and ad nauseam. and i'm not asking for specific technical detail, even a generic acknowledgment would suffice. i guess whoever asks next if "dt beats roseta stone" will get an answer.

until next time,

Comment

If you tried to install something in non-advanced mode (without SPTD) then there was bug in dtsoftbus driver which was fixed in new PRO and Lite.
      If you used avanced mode which uses SPTD then cause of your crash is unknown, at least your minidumps do not provide any information.
      Afterall, DT is under constant development and we always add or enhance something in order to minimize conflicts and improve user experience. It is hard to say what was cause of your crash without detailed analysis of your system. You say you was busy last time sending us crash report, but hey - our support is very busy too! We are going on and cannot just sit and wait your response for months. And lot of things was changed since that time. So we doubt you can blame our support in this situation.
      Sorry.

Comment

Originally Posted by Development View Post
        If you tried to install something in non-advanced mode (without SPTD) then there was bug in dtsoftbus driver which was fixed in new PRO and Lite.
        If you used avanced mode which uses SPTD then cause of your crash is unknown, at least your minidumps do not provide any information.
        Afterall, DT is under constant development and we always add or enhance something in order to minimize conflicts and improve user experience. It is hard to say what was cause of your crash without detailed analysis of your system. You say you was busy last time sending us crash report, but hey - our support is very busy too! We are going on and cannot just sit and wait your response for months. And lot of things was changed since that time. So we doubt you can blame our support in this situation.
        Sorry.
        1.) thanks for your reply.
        2.) i never blamed support, only mentioned that forum "support" via replies was a bit limited when i ask what a fix is/was, or at least specific acknowledgment of a fix, if the fix itself is a secret.
        3.) whatever caused the BSOD with AvP must have been fixed in this newer version since all i did was upgrade the previous version and reboot. then after windows loaded, remount the same image and start the install, which was able to complete just fine. (to which i also mentioned that that's excellent support.)
        should there be any further BSOD's after this, when simply trying to install a game from an image, i'll report back. hopefully i won't.

Comment

ok time for an update. i am using the current latest public version. (4.41.0315.0262)
          when i use a vide i again, get bsod (always, can reproduce) from image. game is modern warfare 2. this game, like aliens vs predator above, is a steam game - so discs have no protection.

if i disable vide and use scsi virtual drive, it works.
          vide vd ==> bsod
          scsi vd ==> no problem

here's a screenshot of the bsod:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	dtprovide.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	193418
          Last edited by ß; 31.10.2011, 04:47.

Comment

Do you have a minidump (c:\windows\minidump) of that BSOD?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Blazkowicz; 31.10.2011, 18:56.
            Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
            Peace Through Power

Comment

do you have any news?

edit:
              hmmm?!?!?

File Name:
              Version:
              Size:
              Date File:
              SPTDinst-v179-x86.exe
              592,952 bytes
              September 14, 2011
              Download
              Description: SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD) layer (32 bit). Basically SPTD is similar to other access layers used by other programs who provide access to storage devices but it has a lot more features that make this interface unique.

Issues addressed:
              - Fixed BSODs during file copy on some systems.
              is this the old one? current dt still uses 1.78
              now i'm not 100% sure if i used this sptd. i reinstalled windows (and dt) in last three months.
              ..so i MAY have used old sptd after fresh dt install, even though i had the newer sptd before. i guess what i'm saying is that i MAY have re-reported the same issue.
              aghhhhh..
              you guys should attach (update) dt to use latest sptd as soon as a new version is available.
              Last edited by ß; 05.11.2011, 08:01.

Comment

ok, so i'm now almost 100% convinced that there is no NEW bsod situation.
                i reinstalled dt pro which only comes with sptd 1.78 on fresh windows about 2 months ago and forgot there was a "fixed" sptd i had to manually install.

the end.

Comment

There is no sense to release another DT version with only updated SPTD. Isn't it?
                  You can upgrade your SPTD version manually.
                  Next DT version will contain the latest SPTD (at the time of release) of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X